I hate the magsafe plugs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hexonxonx, Dec 23, 2007.

1. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I absolutely hate this plug on my MBP. I rarely use my MBP on battery power. It has 8 cycles on it now and all but one is because the adaptor plug pulled out of the computer without me noticing.

I wish there were a way to keep it from pulling loose.

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

so you would rather have your computer fall from the power cord being pulled than have it use the battery??:confused:

3. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

That extra cycle is less detrimental then you would think. Depth of the cycle and age are equally - if not more - important.

Perhaps you could beef-up the magsafe strength by finding a neodymium magnet and epoxying it to the side of the plug?

4. hexonxonx thread starter macrumors 601

It's not gonna fall. When the plug has pulled loose is when it's sitting on the couch and I am on the floor.

5. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I love the magsafe. I can't be for sure, but there have been at least 10 instances where my MBP could have been damaged in some way.

6. AstrayCliche macrumors member

If you rarely use the battery, what difference does it make if it has an extra cycle? :confused:

7. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

I was actually somewhat surprised at the strength of the magsafe when I messed with one - perhaps you have a defective / weak one?

8. hexonxonx thread starter macrumors 601

It's possible. Maybe I should take it to the Apple store to see if thats the case here.

9. ledd macrumors newbie

I think Apple's reasoning lies in the fact your problem is accidentally unplugging it which in turn caused a measly 8 cycles of loss (which probably was inevitable without unplugging it) instead of another person accidentally ripping their MacBook off a desk causing significantly more damage.

Since it seems you aren't running it unplugged, try recalibrating your battery. You might find that you haven't even necessarily lost 8.

Also, if you really want to "keep it from pulling loose" it wouldn't be to challenging to make that possible.

Another solution is change your Energy Settings to dim the screen when it is on battery. The lower screen brightness would then inform you its on battery.

10. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Yeah - just try to hit it AFTER next week if you know what's good for you.

People R crazy this time o year.

11. hexonxonx thread starter macrumors 601

I just did that now, thanks!

Yeah I haven't been to the Apple store since before Thanksgiving just because of the crowds.

12. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

Eh... maybe I don't quite get it. If its constantly mains powered just remove the battery altogether to avoid this, no? :confused:

13. hexonxonx thread starter macrumors 601

That's a good idea but then if the plug gets pulled, well, I lose what I'm working on or what I have open. We get a power failure at least once a month here and during a bad snow storm it can happen even more. I have the batterys in all three of my laptops just for this reason.

14. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

I'm not sure I would.

Computer power supplies have huge beefy capacitors in them - which help to stabilize the output power. Most laptop power supplies have much smaller capacitors (to make them smaller obviously) -- But this can reduce the output regulation.

Batteries tend to make GREAT capacitors - and smooth things out while protecting from voltage spikes / drops.

Now I'm really behind on switching supplies these days - but I can't imagine their operation changing much over time.

So short version - I would keep the battery in, but that is MO.

15. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Maybe you should get a UPS then.

16. djejrejk macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

You can do this, but your laptop will run on half power. Needless to say, its not advised.

17. Excursions macrumors member

18. hexonxonx thread starter macrumors 601

19. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

I hope this is sarcastic, because that is honestly quite silly. Mine comes unplugged sometimes, so I just ... plug it back in.

20. MacGuyver macrumors member

21. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

It might be annoying if you were running it without a battery because it'd shut off everytime it d/cd.

22. Brianstorm91 macrumors 65816

Brianstorm91

I hope you're joking, because that thing is rubbish.

Also, I would never buy anything from a site which says: More photo's here

More photo is where?

23. theman macrumors 6502a

you are supposed to drain your battery at least once a month anyway, if you have 0 cycles, your battery would completely die after a few months, maybe a year.

24. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

I never drained my battery just to drain my battery and rarely got it below 50% using battery power (on my former iBook). Battery's fine - 99%. Just use it and don't obsess.