I hate the Mighty Mouse! I need a new mouse that isn't mighty.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by vermonter16, Dec 6, 2008.

1. vermonter16 macrumors regular

I'm glad I didn't pay extra to get the wireless might mouse....I have been working with it for about three hours now and I HATE IT!!!! I am going to need new mouse as soon as possible!!! Right now I have a Microsoft Mouse which I like but... But it doesn't utilize blue tooth technology...and I don't even know where the install disk is for it, I probably have it somewhere. At any rate - any help would be appreciated.

2. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

You don't need install disks for install a mouse. Unless you want to map out specific functions for each button, you shouldn't need one. If you do, you can always check the Microsoft site and download it.

As for looking for a new mouse, I'd recommend looking at wireless USB mice too. Logitech makes some great mice, some with extremely small USB receivers.

Also, what is it about the Mighty Mouse that you hate?

3. ikermalli macrumors 6502a

I find the might mouse mighty slow to move around the screen when I play with macs in stores

4. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

That could be easily changed with a few tweaks in System Preferences. Speed up the tracking and scrolling speeds until you find one that suits you.

5. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

I used to hate the Mighty Mouse, too. But now that I've become accustomed to it, I cannot imagine using anything else. The 360 degree scroll wheel is fabulous. I just wish right-click was a bit easier.

6. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I use a Logitech mouse. It is a bluetooth to give you wireless and no USB requirements. It is an amazing little mouse. I bought four of them for $29.99 each on sale about a year ago. Use two of them. The other two are backups when they finally die. Even though they are a PC style mouse, they are mid size and no hard edges. Smooth and functional. Small not too small; not too big. Perfect on the go or at a desk. Uses two double A batteries, so the batteries last six months or more.

Silver too, so it matches my MB and other equipment.

Logitech
    M/N: M-RBB93
    P/N: 852555-0000

Good luck with your rodent problem.

Happy Holidays.

7. wiseguy27 macrumors 6502

wiseguy27

Why don't you just try using the Mighty Mouse for a few weeks first?

In System Preferences, you can disable the buttons on the side, change the behavior of the buttons and the scroll ball.

I have the Might Mouse and was able to get used to it in a matter of minutes.

The only hassle with the Mighty Mouse is the requirement to clean the scroll ball with a damp cloth once every few weeks or months (depending on your environment). Otherwise the scrolling becomes quite cranky.

8. StuBeck macrumors 6502

I personally use the original microsoft bluetooth mouse and love it. Has a weighty feel to it, and also doesn't feel as cheap as the mighty mouse. I got a mighty mouse for free with my MB and tried it out for about a month. I'm not trying to sound overly critical but the only feature I liked was being able to turn it off easily. I constantly had issues with right clicking too. I know that is me not being able to use it correctly, but I still couldn't conform to how they wanted me to use it.

9. yoppie macrumors 6502a

10. QueenZ macrumors 6502

QueenZ

11. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

Probably the best gaming mouse ever made too :cool:

12. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

I had a Razor death adder or something like that back in the day. Super snake? Cobra? Boss 302? Nah, it was the copperhead. Anyway... It was back when light up everything actually garnered my interest, but it was a darn fine mouse. Adjustable dpi on the fly, lots of buttons. Now they go for under $30, very much worth it if you like light up things.

13. vermonter16 thread starter macrumors regular

It is a lot harder to click...but the above says it all - waaaay slow and that is after I have put it on the top speed of everything. I have to keep picking it up to scroll back and forth across the screen...

14. ikermalli macrumors 6502a

15. vermonter16 thread starter macrumors regular

16. ikermalli macrumors 6502a

It's a top quality gaming mouse, don't be deceived by the looks

17. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

I love the Logitech MX 1000 - it's not bluetooth (but it is wireless) but it's comfortable and has awesome thumb buttons that are great when set to expose and close windows and delete.

18. vermonter16 thread starter macrumors regular

It looks like something that should have gone with one of the original computers. Is that thing really comfy in the hand?

19. ikermalli macrumors 6502a

Yeah! It's awesome! You should go get one, it is quite cheap now, and VERY comfy to use, it just doesn't look comfy.

20. ikermalli macrumors 6502a

Lol, just making sure; you know that was a joke right? I just went on google and searched old optical mouse :p

21. vermonter16 thread starter macrumors regular

Oh yeah I was joking. Looked like something that went to a computer before the Commodore 64!!!

22. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

23. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Looks like a garage door remote.

24. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

I like the mighty mouse minus the ever sticking scroll ball. Easily fixed with a quick upside down roll, on clean paper.

I'm so used to a one button mouse, 'I use both my fingers to click' I cant seem to get used to left and right click. I always have one hand on the keyboard. So option clicking or right clicking is just second nature.

In fact not to long ago I had to buy a replacement 3rd party mouse. Apple charges to much for theirs.
    With the the 3rd party mouse. I actually took it apart to disabled the right clicker. Then glued the buttons together from underneath. So no mater what side you clicked on. It would register as a normal click.

I don't play games often, but when I do. I have a microsuck mouse. Tucked away in a drawer, for that

25. QueenZ macrumors 6502

QueenZ

well i hate mighty mouse because it took me a while to press the right button and it also gets dirty easily.. i prefer Logitech mice instead :)