iPad I hate the muck left on my screen from the Apple Pencil

jojods

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2014
When I use the Apple Pencil my screen gets covered in lines and it's incredibly annoying, does this happen to anyone else?

Mr.C

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Personally I clean my iPad, iPhone and Apple Watch display regularly with a soft cloth as I can't stand finger prints, dust and other muck on them. Having touch displays means you're going to have this issue but you just have to wipe it with a soft cloth regularly.

Reactions: npolly0212

jojods

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2014
Personally I clean my iPad, iPhone and Apple Watch display regularly with a soft cloth as I can't stand finger prints, dust and other muck on them. Having touch displays means you're going to have this issue but you just have to wipe it with a soft cloth regularly.
Do you have special spray or just a microfibre?

Mr.C

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Do you have special spray or just a microfibre?
I just use a microfibre cloth. I do have screen protectors on my iPad and iPhone. From time to time I wipe down the displays with some damp cotton wool and then wipe with dry cotton wool.

Commy1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2013
Try a Magic Eraser, they work amazingly well at removing the grime from white Apple cables and I presume the Pencil tips.

Commy1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2013
Magic eraser is abrasive and should not be used to clean an iPad screen. Just a microfiber cloth will do it unless you got food on it, then slightly dampen the cloth to remove the food debris. Less is best.
I didn't say on the screen just the tip of the pencil. I use a piece of dry silk to wipe down my screens, works great.

DSTOFEL

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
If you want hit it with a small spray of water you can, just keep it away from the speaker ports and the home button.
+1

I just use a "damp" soft cloth (a 100% cotton soft dish towel is what I use) and a tiny bit of "Dawn" detergent....followed by just a damp soft cloth.....followed by dry soft cloth to buff to mirror finish. I've used this same method for years on iMacs, MacBook Pros, iPads, iPhones, etc..... I've never had any issue when using this method.

The key (as mildocjr mentioned) is to keep any water away from speaker ports, receiver openings, etc....

Loveandterror

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2013
UK
I don't have a screen protector on mine at the moment. I bought a pack of 5 on eBay the other day and I literally wasn't Apple to get them on without having some spec of dust underneath, which obviously resulted in air bubbles.
I can't stand air bubbles, so I just threw all of them in the bin. An hour of my life wasted on stupid screen protectors..ugh.
Any ways, are the glass protectors any easier to put on, or how do you avoid air bubbles and dust on the screen before application??
Ps. I tried scotch tape, but it was just not working for me.

Help and pointing in the right direction is appreciated :)

TrueBlou

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
I don't have a screen protector on mine at the moment. I bought a pack of 5 on eBay the other day and I literally wasn't Apple to get them on without having some spec of dust underneath, which obviously resulted in air bubbles.
I can't stand air bubbles, so I just threw all of them in the bin. An hour of my life wasted on stupid screen protectors..ugh.
Any ways, are the glass protectors any easier to put on, or how do you avoid air bubbles and dust on the screen before application??
Ps. I tried scotch tape, but it was just not working for me.

Help and pointing in the right direction is appreciated :)

The easiest way to apply them without dust being a problem is to go into your bathroom. Close the door and Windows and turn on the hot water for a bit.

Let the room get nice and steamy, it reduces the dust in the air quite considerably.

Glass ones tend to be slightly easier as you can just lay them down flat. But using the above method you'll get any on without dust. Oh, and make sure you've got bare arms. Long sleeves can shake dust onto the screen.

Reactions: Loveandterror

Loveandterror

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2013
UK
The easiest way to apply them without dust being a problem is to go into your bathroom. Close the door and Windows and turn on the hot water for a bit.

Let the room get nice and steamy, it reduces the dust in the air quite considerably.

Glass ones tend to be slightly easier as you can just lay them down flat. But using the above method you'll get any on without dust. Oh, and make sure you've got bare arms. Long sleeves can shake dust onto the screen.
I never heard of that method. I'll definitely give that a try.
Sorry for the stupid questions, but you mentioned that you can lay the glass ones just flat down. Do you just take the entire sticker off instead of just an inch at a time and place the screen down?
And what do you do in the unlikely event that dust does get trapped and creates an air bubble? Take it off and try again?

TrueBlou

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
I never heard of that method. I'll definitely give that a try.
Sorry for the stupid questions, but you mentioned that you can lay the glass ones just flat down. Do you just take the entire sticker off instead of just an inch at a time and place the screen down?
And what do you do in the unlikely event that dust does get trapped and creates an air bubble? Take it off and try again?

No questions are stupid, don't worry.

Yeah, with the glass ones you just peel the plastic off in one go and drop it straight down onto the screen. It's actually a lot easier than the other kinds because lining it up is a one-step affair. I often find when I'm fitting the film ones that by the time I get halfway laying it down, I've put it ever so slightly squint so its running off the edge.

With the glass ones, if there's dust you do need to take the whole thing off and use tape to get rid of the dust. It can be tricky, you need to be careful not to break the glass, it's very brittle when you're peeling it off so go slowly and always move your hands along the edges of the glass with it as you lift. That way you're not over-stressing the glass.

If you get a small air bubble in the glass without there being any dust, you can try easing it towards the edge with a credit card. Or what I do if it's a really small bubble is get a plastic pen lid and gently rub around the bubble in a circular motion, that usually works.

The film ones are much easier and more forgiving in that respect. You can just lift a little of it where the dust is (I attach a piece of tape and use that to lift the protector) then just slide tape in and get the dust off.

But if you're doing it in a steamy room, you shouldn't have to worry about the dust. Just keep the iPad in a spot away from other objects and especially soft things like towels as they're the biggest source of dust.

Reactions: Loveandterror
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.