iPad I hate the muck left on my screen from the Apple Pencil

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jojods, Apr 6, 2016.

1. jojods macrumors regular

When I use the Apple Pencil my screen gets covered in lines and it's incredibly annoying, does this happen to anyone else?

2. npolly0212 macrumors 65816

Yes, take a cloth and it looks good again once cleaned

3. jojods thread starter macrumors regular

I need to invest, my screen is getting so dirty so easily

4. npolly0212 macrumors 65816

I purchased a glass screen protector and I love it

5. Mr.C macrumors 601

Personally I clean my iPad, iPhone and Apple Watch display regularly with a soft cloth as I can't stand finger prints, dust and other muck on them. Having touch displays means you're going to have this issue but you just have to wipe it with a soft cloth regularly.

6. jojods thread starter macrumors regular

Do you have special spray or just a microfibre?

7. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Tell your payroll department you want to set up a tax deferred iPad cloth annuity account and you should have enough money to invest in your cloth in about 4-6 hours.

8. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Just get a microfiber cloth and wipe the screen off every once in a while. The finger prints come off pretty easy.

9. off_piste macrumors 6502a

Mmmmm... nothing quite like dragging your writing instrument through a layer of sweat, grease, dirt, and dead skin.

10. Capt T macrumors 6502a

Just a microfiber cloth

11. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

12. Mr.C macrumors 601

I just use a microfibre cloth. I do have screen protectors on my iPad and iPhone. From time to time I wipe down the displays with some damp cotton wool and then wipe with dry cotton wool.

13. mildocjr macrumors 65816

If you want hit it with a small spray of water you can, just keep it away from the speaker ports and the home button.

14. Commy1 macrumors 6502a

Commy1

Try a Magic Eraser, they work amazingly well at removing the grime from white Apple cables and I presume the Pencil tips.

15. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Magic eraser is abrasive and should not be used to clean an iPad screen. Just a microfiber cloth will do it unless you got food on it, then slightly dampen the cloth to remove the food debris. Less is best.

16. eltoslightfoot macrumors regular

eltoslightfoot

This is what I did. Works great.

17. Bbqthis macrumors 6502a

Bbqthis

That's what she said.

18. Commy1 macrumors 6502a

Commy1

I didn't say on the screen just the tip of the pencil. I use a piece of dry silk to wipe down my screens, works great.

19. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

is this required ? In the first place ?

20. DSTOFEL macrumors 6502

+1

I just use a "damp" soft cloth (a 100% cotton soft dish towel is what I use) and a tiny bit of "Dawn" detergent....followed by just a damp soft cloth.....followed by dry soft cloth to buff to mirror finish. I've used this same method for years on iMacs, MacBook Pros, iPads, iPhones, etc..... I've never had any issue when using this method.

The key (as mildocjr mentioned) is to keep any water away from speaker ports, receiver openings, etc....

21. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

While this may well be a perfectly innocent, helpful statement on the condition of the Apple Pencil, with the way my mind works it did make me chuckle :D

22. Loveandterror macrumors 6502

Loveandterror

I don't have a screen protector on mine at the moment. I bought a pack of 5 on eBay the other day and I literally wasn't Apple to get them on without having some spec of dust underneath, which obviously resulted in air bubbles.
    I can't stand air bubbles, so I just threw all of them in the bin. An hour of my life wasted on stupid screen protectors..ugh.
    Any ways, are the glass protectors any easier to put on, or how do you avoid air bubbles and dust on the screen before application??
    Ps. I tried scotch tape, but it was just not working for me.

Help and pointing in the right direction is appreciated :)

23. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

The easiest way to apply them without dust being a problem is to go into your bathroom. Close the door and Windows and turn on the hot water for a bit.

Let the room get nice and steamy, it reduces the dust in the air quite considerably.

Glass ones tend to be slightly easier as you can just lay them down flat. But using the above method you'll get any on without dust. Oh, and make sure you've got bare arms. Long sleeves can shake dust onto the screen.

24. Loveandterror macrumors 6502

Loveandterror

I never heard of that method. I'll definitely give that a try.
    Sorry for the stupid questions, but you mentioned that you can lay the glass ones just flat down. Do you just take the entire sticker off instead of just an inch at a time and place the screen down?
    And what do you do in the unlikely event that dust does get trapped and creates an air bubble? Take it off and try again?

25. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

No questions are stupid, don't worry.

Yeah, with the glass ones you just peel the plastic off in one go and drop it straight down onto the screen. It's actually a lot easier than the other kinds because lining it up is a one-step affair. I often find when I'm fitting the film ones that by the time I get halfway laying it down, I've put it ever so slightly squint so its running off the edge.

With the glass ones, if there's dust you do need to take the whole thing off and use tape to get rid of the dust. It can be tricky, you need to be careful not to break the glass, it's very brittle when you're peeling it off so go slowly and always move your hands along the edges of the glass with it as you lift. That way you're not over-stressing the glass.

If you get a small air bubble in the glass without there being any dust, you can try easing it towards the edge with a credit card. Or what I do if it's a really small bubble is get a plastic pen lid and gently rub around the bubble in a circular motion, that usually works.

The film ones are much easier and more forgiving in that respect. You can just lift a little of it where the dust is (I attach a piece of tape and use that to lift the protector) then just slide tape in and get the dust off.

But if you're doing it in a steamy room, you shouldn't have to worry about the dust. Just keep the iPad in a spot away from other objects and especially soft things like towels as they're the biggest source of dust.