I hate the new SMS alert!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by motoracer1486, Sep 13, 2008.

1. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

I used to receive a text, take my phone out of my pocket, and read it right on the preview screen (the swipe to unlock screen). If the text didn't require a reply, I'd just put the phone back in my pocket. Now, I have to take my phone out, read it on the preview screen, then unlock my phone and go to SMS section to tell the phone that I have read it or else I'll get 2 additional SMS alerts. If I don't unlock the phone and go to the SMS section, the additional SMS alerts sound just like a new text message, so I'm not sure if it's letting me know of the first text that I didn't actually go through and look at, or if it's a new one. Why is this not a setting I can disable? I can see how some people would like it, but not everyone. I just hate having to unlock my phone and go to the SMS section every time even if I already saw the text on the preview screen.

2. Deadman64 macrumors 6502a

I think it should have been a setting. Some people may not want it.

3. philgilder macrumors 68000

+1
    its a great feature (for me), but even people that want it seem to want a setting - to check its on

4. motoracer1486 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Exactly. Why offer to view a text on a preview screen if you're just going to bug them to unlock their phone and go to the SMS section just to prove to the phone that you've actually read it?

5. Amt macrumors regular

Apple didn't make it a setting just so more people have to take it out of their pocket and others see they have an iPhone, leading them to get one. =(

But yeah, needs a setting, IMO.

6. Switz213 macrumors 6502

They should just put a little (X) next to each SMS on the lock screen.

7. motoracer1486 thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's an idea I'd go for. If they did the (x) + make it a setting, it'd be perfect.

Edit: Or even make the additional SMS alerts a different ringer/tone.

8. LaMerVipere macrumors 6502a

LaMerVipere

+1 here. I hate this new "improvement"!

I love that I used to be able to just see the preview and then go about my business. Now with these extra alerts I never know if I am getting a new text or what. And what's the point of a preview if I have to actually go look at it?

This needs to be a Settings option. I would disable it.

9. domness macrumors 6502a

domness

I've not really had many texts since updating my phone to 2.1, but i'll check out how annoying this setting gets! lol.

Apple have seemed to mess about with the SMS alerts over the past few firmware versions.

I reckon they should just create a whole new bit in the settings for it as different people like the different way the SMS Alerts work.

(Oh, and create MMS in the time too :p)

10. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

i've sent about 700 texts this since last monday till now and i really haven't noticed any difference. of course i've always been texting a lot so i really don't notice the change.

11. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

if u have a passcode lock on ur code u can go to the passcode lock settings and turn the SMS preview on.... duh :rolleyes:

even if u set the passcode not to come on for 4hrs u can jus do it to get that setting..

12. AnimalPaintball macrumors regular

AnimalPaintball

Agreed.

Agreed. I have my iPhone on a dock at work, next to my computer. So used to get a text, I would just glance at it and keep working. Now, I have to get it and slide (really annoying).

1 Thing they should of done (other than making the SMS notification optional) is do the repeat notifictions for emails, since that sound is so quite, I always miss an incoming email notification.

My 2 cents
    Mondo

13. westernmass macrumors 6502

westernmass

I would much rather have this feature in the calender. If I miss a reminder a few minutes later it reminds me again . Now it just reminds you once and that's it. Unless that has changed and I just missed it?

14. oneals2focus macrumors regular

oneals2focus

15. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

if u set the passcode for every 4 hours whats the problem?? it will only come up if u dont touch ur phone for 4 hours, i think u can live with that.

i can type however i want its a forum, get over it.

16. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.

2 things. First of all, if you unlock your phone immediately after you get the text (while the screen is still lit up) it automatically goes to ur sms section to view it. so all you have to do is a quick lock/unlock.

secondly, I haven't had time to use this feature yet, so i'm not sure how it works. But are you SURE you have to check it in the sms section? That might be how apple set it up, but i know that i would have set it up so that all you have to do is unlock/lock it thus removing the text alert from the preview screen.

ok 3 things... thirdly, i still agree it should be a setting. I'd probably use it, but it shouldn't be forced upon you. that surprised me

17. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

if the password only comes up every 4 hours whats the big deal!??... oh well i dont care dude do what u want.

IQ? seriously?? LOL please, im in college and i get an "A" on every one of my english papers, i jus couldnt care less what is said in here...

and yes, i work at at&t, anytime someone doesnt understand their plan or have questions about rates i help them out, i dont have to, i jus do it to clear up confusion

18. motoracer1486 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Good points, I'll have to check.

I still don't think I should have to unlock my phone then click the sleep button every time I get a text message though :eek:

19. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

But then what if you get a second text message? The preview only displays one at a time. Then you have to unlock it, maneuver through the menu to the sms section (which apparently you hate to do :p) in order to check the second one. For this reason I have gotten in the habit of always unlocking/locking my iphone whenever i get a text. Only takes about a second.

20. motoracer1486 thread starter macrumors 6502a

You're correct - now I have another feature request to add to my short list :p

21. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

Haha, display 2 texts? But then what about if you get 3? Lets ask for that too! Uh oh I might get 4!! haha :p

But in all honestly I do agree with you, the iphone has a big enough screen.. USE it! It should just display everything it can until the screen is full, then it can begin to abbreviate everything.

22. motoracer1486 thread starter macrumors 6502a

How about a feature to be able to scroll through the newest texts on the preview screen...now that would be badass!

23. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

Hmm... I wouldn't complain about that ;)

24. motoracer1486 thread starter macrumors 6502a

http://www.flayme.com/troll/

What Is A Troll?

The term derives from "trolling", a style of fishing which involves trailing bait through a likely spot hoping for a bite. The troll posts a message, often in response to an honest question, that is intended to upset, disrupt or simply insult the group.

Usually, it will fail, as the troll rarely bothers to match the tone or style of the group, and usually its ignorance shows.

Why do trolls do it?

I believe that most trolls are sad people, living their lonely lives vicariously through those they see as strong and successful.

Disrupting a stable newsgroup gives the illusion of power, just as for a few, stalking a strong person allows them to think they are strong, too.

For trolls, any response is 'recognition'; they are unable to distinguish between irritation and admiration; their ego grows directly in proportion to the response, regardless of the form or content of that response.

Trolls, rather surprisingly, dispute this, claiming that it's a game or joke; this merely confirms the diagnosis; how sad do you have to be to find such mind-numbingly trivial timewasting to be funny?

Remember that trolls are cowards; they'll usually post just enough to get an argument going, then sit back and count the responses (Yes, that's what they do!).

25. motoracer1486 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Either way you were being a troll, and as you previously stated, you will now take the position as such.

Why, are you a moderator?