I HATE the noises that people make when they chew

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by conch575, Jul 11, 2009.

1. conch575 macrumors 6502

conch575

It makes my blood boil. I'm sitting here listening to my
    mum eat biscuits it's killing me. I had to leave the room, urgh.

Does the sound annoy anyone else??? Agh!

2. bartelby macrumors Core

It bugs the crap out of me too. Especially people who chew gum with their mouth open...

3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Chewing doesn't bother me but the sound of people swallowing makes me want to punch them in the face. It bothers me most when they do it needless loud or on the phone to me.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

My roommate has no concept of eating quietly. He smacks his lips and swallows so loudly I'm beginning to think it's on purpose.

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

6. conch575 thread starter macrumors 6502

conch575

LOL that made me laugh. I don't know about chewing, it makes me also, want to punch people in the face. It's the worst when my mum chews coz she tries to be silent about it, but it's just annoying!!

7. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Wow. I don't think I ever even noticed the sound of someone chewing. Perhaps you should turn on some background music or something to cover up the sound.

8. Captain Awesome macrumors regular

Agreed, but it's not nearly as bad as when someone's stuffing their face while using the letter "P" alot.

9. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Or "b, s, k" those all way too easily send food flying.

10. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

11. DELLsFan macrumors 6502a

DELLsFan

I can't help it ... my jaw snaps sometimes! Love me, love my jaw! :D

12. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

My jaw pops every time I chew. It's nothing I can stop, so my girlfriend just has to put up with it (even though it drives her nuts).

13. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

I have to turn up the TV or music to be able to eat in the same room with Chris because he swallows so loudly. I wonder if punching him would fix it? :eek:

14. Vogue Harper macrumors 6502

Vogue Harper

Yeah can be annoying if it's loud. What makes me angry is when people chew/drink while talking on the phone, the amplification of this noise on the phone means I tell them every time that maybe we should continue speaking when they are not eating/drinking.

15. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

Having partial hearing lost is a blessing sometimes because I don't hear these sounds if I'm not paying attention. People say men have selective hearing, but mine really is selective. If I am not paying attention to whatever is making noise, I can't really hear it.

16. cpit macrumors newbie

mmm that bugs me SOOOOOOO much.

the worst is slurping food.

I hear SLURP, SLURRRRRRRRRP, GULP!

The only sound that bugs me more is the sound of a vacuum cleaner.

17. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Dude, try having a headmaster that does that whilst speaking over the tanoy system in the school. It's hideous!

18. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

Ugh, this is one my biggest pet peeves! :mad:

Whats worse is an annoying eater...idk how to explain it good on here but if I could show you someone doing it, you would know what I mean. :rolleyes:

19. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

What's your number, I've got something I need you to listen to.:)

The best way to get around the noises that bother you is to make as many noises possible that bother the others involved.;)

20. conch575 thread starter macrumors 6502

conch575

I have a friend that chews loud and with her mouth open on purpose because she thinks it's considered "cool" to do that. She is sorely mistaken.

21. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Normal chewing doesn't really bother me, but the absolute worst is when someone is eating ice. My wife does this and it drives me nuts. It's like there's a microphone in her mouth it's so loud.

22. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

For me it's not just the inability to shut one's mouth while eating, but people whose instruction in proper table manners was completely neglected. Case in point - a few weeks back I'm in an IHOP with some people I know, one of whom orders a steak. At some point during the meal, he abandoned his silverware, picked up the half eaten piece of meat and started gnawing on the bone. If you want to conduct yourself like an animal in your own home that's one thing, but in public and with others present you should show a minimum of respect for the people around you.

23. jason221 macrumors 6502

I possess the gift (curse?) of exceptional hearing. Needless to say, I cannot stand the ungodly noises of chewing, crunching, swallowing, slurping, or whatever other unpleasant noises may result from eating or drinking, which are painfully noticeable in all but the loudest restaurants. :eek:

24. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

OH man because i can't drive a car mum has to take me to work in the morning and she chews gum and all i can hear is the noise OH man i feel like just elbowing her in the face and she drives the car as if she were racing a snail.

OR

if my nanna has to take me to work because my parents can't or are away on holidays all i can hear is her wheezing ARGH i can't to get to work quick enough luckily i do because they way she drives i swear she has road rage

25. doubleohseven macrumors 6502a

doubleohseven

UGH!! :mad:

This is my WORST pet peeve! I pretty much have to isolate myself while eating with people who chew loudly. :eek: