I hate the trackpads on unibody mbp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by h00ligan, Mar 8, 2011.

1. h00ligan macrumors 68030

The missing button sucks. Anyone else feel that way? I now have to lift my finger to click, I find it very very cumbersome.. did you hate it before, did you adjust?

It's a BIG problem to me as it's the only source of input.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

You can always get a Magic Mouse and keyboard

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Buy a mouse or tap to click then. No problems here.

4. evaporateddwarf macrumors regular

You don't have to lift to click...the trackpad IS a button.

5. iZero macrumors regular

Never had problem with it personally, but i can see how some coming from something different would. There are multiple settings you can play with, to adjust it to behave basically however you want. And if all else fails, you can always use a wireless/bluetooth mouse. I know it would suck to have to do that. But I think you will get used to it :) Once you are used to it, it is a VERY wonderful piece of tech. It has so many functions built in with multitouch that once you master it, you will save a LOT of time on many different tasks :)

6. neteng101 macrumors 65816

I love the trackpads on unibodys... absolutely hated the old trackpads. It was the new trackpad that is one of the biggest selling points IMO... best thing ever.

I can't dig the Magic Mouse though... its just way too flat and not comfortable at all to use. The Bluetooth trackpad for desktop Macs now is pretty cool though.

7. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

You can set the trackpad to recognise a tap as a click like it is on a windows laptop. In mouse setting somewhere, I tried it for a while but went back.

8. shreddy macrumors regular

Exactly! I just moved from a pre-unibody. Got my new machine today and I'm surprised I didn't notice the difference after a few minutes. Just use my thumb to push down just like with the big button...

9. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

For the multi-touch purposes alone, it's a million times better than any other laptop uses.

The trackpad, by far, is one of the best features of the unibody MBP's.

10. Ironworker808 macrumors regular

This is my first Mac...had it for eight days.

I love the trackpad so much that I have yet to connect a mouse.

However, this is also my first laptop so I don't have anything to compare it to.

11. josh1231 macrumors regular

I actually feel just the opposite. It has a button, it's the entire trackpad.

I'm wondering if the OP doesn't realize you can just push down anywhere on the trackpad.

12. Ieo macrumors 6502

If you don't like the trackpad on a MB, you're in the minority.

What's not to like? Your finger never leaves the pad; just point it where you want to go and press down (Or set it to "tap to click" if even that is too much for you). It sure beats heading to the bottom of the trackpad to click a separate button IMO.

Plus, the pure size of the thing is just freakin' sweet. I like it so much I bought a magic trackpad to go with my desktop.

13. wingsabr macrumors 6502

wingsabr

Agree. I wish I had one for work and I can't stand using my PC's now.

14. melterx12 macrumors 6502a

15. DeeEss macrumors 6502a

yeah totally change it to tap. Buttons are so 90's. :)

16. h00ligan thread starter macrumors 68030

I don't use tap to click as it always accidentally activates..

On the old trackpad I leave a trailing finger for right click and click the button.. the new one seems a pain because you have to be at the bottom and if you leave a second finger on it's a right click.

The multifunction as in gestures is great.. the standard click I find very annoying.

17. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

Absolutely! This is the best touchpad in the business. All other manufacturers should take a good look at this.

18. shootingrubber macrumors 6502

Wow, I love the trackpad on the unibody MacBook Pro's. It's the exact same as having an extra button except you get the larger tracking area.

19. vipergts2207 macrumors 65816

vipergts2207

I also moved from a pre-unibody MBP to a new unibody MBP. After having used my previous Mac for almost four years, this trackpad took a couple days to get used to, but I like it better already. Inertial scrolling is my favorite feature I think. Apple's trackpad simply blows every other one away. It's not even a competition.

20. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

+1,000,000 - if you're not used to the track pad and are annoyed you have to press down, this will make it work that much better.

21. max pl macrumors regular

Inertial scrolling, or coasting, has been available on synaptic touchpads for a long time now. Apple didnt invent it.

Ive had it on a Thinkpad for 3 years now.

22. Ironworker808 macrumors regular

I think in my case, owning an iPod Touch, an iPhone, and an iPad before owning a MacBook Pro has made tap to click second nature. It just feels right.

YMMV.

23. dal20402 macrumors 6502

This isn't the way it works for me... my 13" MBP trackpad and Magic Trackpad are smart enough to distinguish two adjacent fingers (right-click) from one finger and a thumb at the bottom (regular click without lifting pointer finger). Do you keep your thumb and your pointer finger very close together?

24. vipergts2207 macrumors 65816

vipergts2207

I actually just noticed this today. Pretty awesome if you ask me. You can basically make it function just like pre-unibody MBP's because of this.

25. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

Yup yup, this + OSX is why I pay that so called "apple tax" =D