I hate the zagg shield :-(

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Ruffian829, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Ruffian829 macrumors 6502

I used a zagg shield on my old blackberry that I loved but I tried it on the iPhone with poor results (peeling, discoloration) and I knew it would be difficult to install on the iPad but it was all they had at the best buy that I was at. I still have bubbles (almost 12 hours later so I guess they could still go away) but for some reason one edge didn't stick and is all bubbled up.
    I hate the thought of spending more money on another protector - I wanted a power supply one- but it's another $30 :-/ all the accessories are just quickly adding up an this stupid zagg shield has no return/ resale value.

2. palpatine macrumors 68040

i had zagg for my ipod. i liked it ok, but to be honest, it interfered with the experience, and i ended up ripping it off. nothing wrong with the product. it can't help but make the screen less clear/responsive. if you have a decent case for the ipad, i think there is no need for it. for my ipad 1 i have the original case (sold by apple), and after several months of daily use, the screen (as expected) looks brand new.

3. DragonJade macrumors 6502

I've got Zagg for my iPod Touch. I'm not a fan of the increased friction when you slide your finger over it, but it's sure saved my screen more than a few times. For my iPad I went for something much different, and glad I did.

4. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

I had it on all first gen iPad that we have at home and it was really poorly made! I rather have a screen protector film now.

5. scorpionfalcon macrumors newbie

I don't know about you guys, but I love my full body zagg on my iPad 2. The extra grip is nice when I walk around with it.

6. taipan61 macrumors 6502

had the zagg for my iPhone also, put it on the iPad1, then the iPad2, wife took it off the iPad1 and i after i played with it for a day i took it off my iPad2, now have a nice folio case and go neeked! nothing between me and the glass :D

i like the feel better and i think i get a better response when trying to place the pesky cursor in the middle of a sentence

7. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Not just Zagg, but all screen protectors ruin the touch screen experience. I don't use them on any devices anymore. I used to have a Zagg protector on my HD2, but after I took it off I realised how much better my touch experience became. Same story with my old iPod touch (except that was a Power Support anti-glare screen protector). So now none of my devices have them.

8. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

I have one on my ipad 2 and i love it. Do not understand people saying that it ruins the experience. I guess it is all down to how you put it on. It can be hard if your not used to them. Try to squeegee out the bubbles, push down hard.
    Saying this though. I had one on my iphone 4 and ended up ripping it off after about a year. The sides were constantly lifting and had dust and dirt trapped. They make more sense on larger products, ie, the ipad.

9. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

PowerSupport HD Anti-Glare > *

Super low friction compared to the stock glass, finger glides across, no finger prints, reduces/softens the glare when out in the sun.

There is still glare, it's just not the sharp mirror effect, it's hazy and soft like a regular computer display.
    Loses some viewing angle, a bit hazy looking at sharp angles.

Haven't had any degradation in touch responsiveness.

10. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

I have a Zagg shield on the back of my iPad, and it's fine. I have never had a front shield on any of my iPhones or iPads. I've never had a scratch. I'll admit that I'm more careful than many people are. A lot of my friends just toss their stuff around. I'm a bit baffled as to how people manage to get scratches on their iPad screen though. You would really have to be careless, like cleaning it with a towel you picked up at the beach. I suppose if I had kids I would have one though.

11. DragonJade macrumors 6502

My cousin's two year old managed to stab and drag a sharp pencil across the screen of my iPad. You can't be expected to be able to control all the situations the iPad will be out in.

12. bmwman3241 macrumors regular

I ordered 5 iPad 2 HD Anti-Glare and 1 iPhone 4 HD Anti-Glare from powersupportUSA.com a couple days ago.
    Should arrive tomorrow. :D

My only question/concern is how well it works with the Pogo sketch stylus.

13. mystik610 macrumors regular

Screen protectors are not necessary. It is extremely hard to scratch the glass on the iPad, iPhone, etc etc. The glass on both the front and back of my iPhone 4 are 100% exposed, and there isn't a single scratch on either side, even though my phone is often in the same pocket as my keys.

Samething with the iPhone 2G i owned. The aluminum on the back was scratched up like no other, but the screen is flawless!

If you want to protect the back of the iPad with an invisible shield, its probably a good idea, but in terms of the screen....save your money and skip out on the screen protector.

14. xkmxkmxlmx macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

I am not saying you're wrong about your own phone, but maybe you should take a look at it under a different light/angle.

I had to replace my iPhone 4 just recently and I didn't have a backup shield. In just the one week it took for the ones I ordered to arrive, my iPhone has quite a few scratches. No drops or misuse on my part. Just normal pocket wear and such.

Nothing significant or deep, but they are still on there and over time I am sure they will accumulate to an annoying level.

15. bmwman3241 macrumors regular

Just arrived.. :apple:

Attached Files:

16. DragonJade macrumors 6502

How many iPads do you have?!

17. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

I tried Zagg and for such a pricey product they are crap. Peeling, too grippy, and discoloring.

I bought the xtremeguard ones for $3 and they are by far higher quality.

18. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Looks like 5.

19. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

You could always mail them back to ZAGG for a full replacement, which they will do. Then, return the new ones you receive from ZAGG back to Best Buy or sell them on eBay or Craigslist.

20. mystik610 macrumors regular

I don't know what you did to manage to scratch your screen, but here's a picture of my old iPhone 2g, which I never put a case or screen protector on. The scratches on the back indicate how badly abused this thing was, but the screen is flawless:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Additionally.....here's a picture of my iPhone 4 and the case I've had on it since February. The glass on both the front and back are exposed, however, there isn't a single scratch on either side:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

You know, we can have this fight for ages. iPhones DO scratch! Just because yours didn't doesn't mean that those who did aren't careful. My phone was actually scratched by the Otterbox Defender case. It lets in dust/dirt and if you don't clean it out in time, it can scuff both front and back of the iPhone 4.

22. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

My previous black iPhone 4 scratched on the back due to me putting it down on a desk. Even small particles will scratch it. No secret there.

23. TallManNY macrumors 68040

TallManNY

I think iPhones which go in pockets and get tossed onto tables and such are at more of a risk than iPads. I've got my iPad 1 in an Apple case. The flap closes for when it gets put in a bag for transport. I don't think there is any need for additional screen protection in the form of a film. But I could see how if you have children playing with it then all bets are off.

24. bmwman3241 macrumors regular

5 iPad 2's.

Don't want to hijack the thread, but for anyone interested, 4 out of 5 of them were installed near perfect. One of them I ended up screwing up with aligning it and it ended up getting dust particles and thread particles on the bottom so I had to take it off. I will see if I can get it replaced from PowerSupport. I also tried out the Pogo Sketch stylus with Note Taker HD and it works flawlessly.

25. Ruffian829 thread starter macrumors 6502

Bmwman- i ordered one from amazon. That is the shield I originally wanted and what I have on my phone. I've never felt comfortable leaving a screen unprotected. Not sure why- just never have. Now that have a 6 month old I feel the need to protect it more... No he won't be "using" the iPad but his slimy hands reach for everything.