Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lockerc18

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 17, 2012
I just got this email from Apple. I really, really hate this kind of hype. I bet they're going to short inventory in the stores, too, just to get publicity about how popular the XR is and to generate more demand. Do the prep work now so that I don't have to waste time at MIDNIGHT to pre-order the phone? "When every minute counts"???? GMAB, Apple.

upload_2018-10-15_19-39-6.png

ra4oasis

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Ignore it? It’s an ad, big deal. I for one was happy to get that message, as I didn’t know I could to the pre approval early, but thanks to that email, I’m all set for the pre order.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
I just got this email from Apple. I really, really hate this kind of hype. I bet they're going to short inventory in the stores, too, just to get publicity about how popular the XR is and to generate more demand. Do the prep work now so that I don't have to waste time at MIDNIGHT to pre-order the phone? "When every minute counts"???? GMAB, Apple.

View attachment 795344
When I see marketing materials in my inbox, I just delete them. No point in getting uptight about nothing. Unsubscribe if you really don’t want those.

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
It probably helps them determine how many of each color to produce. I'm not exactly outraged over this...

Reactions: white4s

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018
Wow, I’m really about to lose sleep over the chance to overpay for a mass-market device.

Maybe in 10 billion years. Nice try anyway Apple

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

View attachment 795344

Genuine question, how much marketing have you actually observed since the September 12 keynote for the XR specifically? I can tell you right now, I have seen very little, so if you think this is considered hype, then The Series 4 Apple Watch and XS must be _over-hyped_.

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
Genuine question, how much marketing have you actually observed since the September 12 keynote for the XR specifically? I can tell you right now, I have seen very little, so if you think this is considered hype, then The Series 4 Apple Watch and XS must be _over-hyped_.

I haven't seen one Ad, though it's very likely i'm not part of the target demographic.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I haven't seen one Ad, though it's very likely i'm not part of the target demographic.

I’m not the target demographic either, and I was just mentioning this in another thread, I have actually not found one advertisement for the XR except for Apple‘s website. I think they know that carriers will easily promote this new device and consumers will see the price point. But I expect the day of the launch there will be some marketing commercials for the XR.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Every company sends out marketing emails if you're on their marketing email list.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Must have an extremely low tolerance for email if 1 marketing email from Apple sends you over the edge
Unsubscribe, set up a rule to move all Apple email to trash, or just delete and move on

Don't let the little things rob you of your joy each day

Reactions: OTACORB

lockerc18

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 17, 2012
Folks, it's the "when every minute counts" that gets me, not the ad itself. Apple is saying that if I don't get my order in right away, then I'll get shut out. So if I really want this phone, I'd have to get online at midnight on the dot, and I darn well better have all my prep work done so all I have to do is push the button so I can get ahead of all the laggards who haven't finished typing in their orders yet. And if I don't, then it's sayonara baby, because Apple isn't going to make enough phones available to satisfy all this pent up demand. And I surely don't want to be left out of this coolness game, they say.

But it's not just this one ad alone. It's the way Apple has always marketed their products. Look at the lines at the Apple stores when a new phone comes out. People CAMP OUT overnight to be far enough in the front of the line to be the first on their block to get Apple's newest gizmo. And the hype that makes them do that is all manufactured because Apple manipulates the supply of inventory to intentionally create shortages which drive ever more demand.

It this just good marketing? Well, it's effective, I'll say that much. I know the XR is going to be a hot seller. That by itself is ridiculous, because people are thinking "Finally, a new iPhone that doesn't cost a thousand bucks." How did a price point that high ever get normalized? But it WILL cost that much by the time you add tax and AppleCare+ to it. And you need + because heaven forbid you drop the thing and the screen shatters. Like my SO just did with her iPhone6, which was otherwise working perfectly. So now she has to get a new phone, and Apple hypes like this.

When every minute counts, my fat behind.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
Folks, it's the "when every minute counts" that gets me, not the ad itself. Apple is saying that if I don't get my order in right away, then I'll get shut out. So if I really want this phone, I'd have to get online at midnight on the dot, and I darn well better have all my prep work done so all I have to do is push the button so I can get ahead of all the laggards who haven't finished typing in their orders yet. And if I don't, then it's sayonara baby, because Apple isn't going to make enough phones available to satisfy all this pent up demand. And I surely don't want to be left out of this coolness game, they say.

But it's not just this one ad alone. It's the way Apple has always marketed their products. Look at the lines at the Apple stores when a new phone comes out. People CAMP OUT overnight to be far enough in the front of the line to be the first on their block to get Apple's newest gizmo. And the hype that makes them do that is all manufactured because Apple manipulates the supply of inventory to intentionally create shortages which drive ever more demand.

It this just good marketing? Well, it's effective, I'll say that much. I know the XR is going to be a hot seller. That by itself is ridiculous, because people are thinking "Finally, a new iPhone that doesn't cost a thousand bucks." How did a price point that high ever get normalized? But it WILL cost that much by the time you add tax and AppleCare+ to it. And you need + because heaven forbid you drop the thing and the screen shatters. Like my SO just did with her iPhone6, which was otherwise working perfectly. So now she has to get a new phone, and Apple hypes like this.

This is how it’s been for years. People who don’t get their orders in right away may get delayed shipments. If you don’t care then disregard the damn email. Easy as that.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"

There is definitely something "pent up" here, but it sounds more like anger and frustration
A few deep breaths might help and maybe even some goat yoga

AXone1814

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2018
To be fair its quite a sensible thing to send out to their customer base. I've been there on pre-order night before and realised my apple account had an expired credit card linked to it. By the time I noticed and rectified I missed release day delivery.
As many others have said, if you don't want marketing emails from Apple you are free to unsubscribe.

Cayden

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2014
Utah

This may be a bit nit-picky, but I see people saying this often and just wanted to make a correction. Apple doesn’t manipulate the supply to change the demand, that’s not how supply and demand work. Supply and demand are completely unrelated, meaning a change in supply doesn’t change the demand for a product. Sure there are a small number of people who will be more likely to buy an “exclusive” product, but this number is quite small and doesn’t have any real effect on the demand. With that said, a change in supply can change the price, which can in turn change the overall demand for a product, but since iPhones sell at a set price, this isn’t the case. Apple isn’t artificially limiting their supply to raise demand, because changing the supply can’t raise the demand. Apple “underproduces” their iPhones because they want to keep a steady output at their manufacturing plants. Because of this, there is a steady and set number of iPhones produced in a particular time frame. During normal business operations, this supply is more than enough to cover demand for the product; however, when the phone first comes out the demand is much higher so the supply can’t keep up. It would cost Apple significantly more money to get production up to the level it needs to be at for the first few weeks and then dropping production than it would cost them to slowly ramp up production until the supply and demand meets. This isn’t some conspiracy at Apple, it’s just the economics at play that make it seem like Apple is doing something nefarious. They’re making the best economic desicion on their part, even though it may not be the best possible thing for every consumer. Getting a device on launch day is important to some, but most don’t care and understand it takes time to make these devices correctly.

Reactions: akash.nu

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Pre-ordering iPhones is foolish and risky.
Look at how many XSMax buyers returned their phones.

The XR is a completely new design that no one has ever used before.
Wait until the bomb drops and buy one (if you want) a month or two after the dust settles and the feedback gets posted - AND you've played with one for quite a while.

AXone1814

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2018
Pre-ordering iPhones is foolish and risky.
Look at how many XSMax buyers returned their phones.

The XR is a completely new design that no one has ever used before.
Wait until the bomb drops and buy one (if you want) a month or two after the dust settles and the feedback gets posted - AND you've played with one for quite a while.
Surely the fact the XS Max buyers are able to return their phones (14 days no questions asked, up to a year or more if there is a genuine hardware issue) means its neither risky or foolish to pre-order?

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
Wow a company whose main goal is to make money by having their own profit trying to do legal market advertising techniques so they can get as much costumers to purchase their new released product as they can, the horror! :rolleyes:

I get what you're saying and agree. On the flip side, the message sounds like they are handing out the last vouchers to get water after a disaster.

Reactions: Dj64Mk7
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.