I hate UPS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by plastiksmoke, Oct 19, 2014.

1. plastiksmoke macrumors newbie

I just want to vent about how horrible UPS is. My iPhone 6 was scheduled for delivery on OCt 17th, when I checked the tracking while I was at work it said it was out for delivery. I checked again around 7:30pm that night and it said it was scanned in a the sort center and the delivery date was unavailable. I called UPS and got nothing but rude agents. One told me that they wouldnt do anything till Monday. I am so pissed, my phone is sitting on a truck right this minute because the driver felt like not doing their job

2. areamike macrumors newbie

Sorry to hear your problem with UPS.
    I have various packages delivered to my residence quite often and have never had and issues with UPS.

Hopefully it was an isolated incident.

3. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

While there's no excuse for bad customer service, I can also understand the position UPS and many of its employees are in. Apple has bought up all the available shipping capacity, and there's millions.... literally, millions, of entitled people wanting to know where their expensive package is. It's probably a very nerve wracking and aggravating situation for many front-line UPS employees.

4. eyoungren, Oct 19, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2014

eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I worked for UPS for seven years from 1992 to 1999. So, I'm going to defend the UPS driver here.

At the time I was there the internal waiting list to be a UPS driver was 10 years. That is, you had to work for UPS for at least ten years before you'd even be considered as a driver. One of the guys I worked with was trying to be a driver and they had him part time during the day and he continued to do his regular job at night.

UPS is crazy vigilant about the drivers. There is a mountain of paperwork if there is an accident and they have trainers that ride with you for six months during training.

The drivers are there from 6am to well after 7pm if it's that busy. And they are responsible for every package. The tracking system means they can't be lazy about it.

So, some other reason had to prevent the delivery of the phone instead of the driver "not doing his job".

As to not doing anything until Monday, if it's Next Day Air on a missed Friday delivery then you won't get the next delivery until Monday. Same if it's a NDA Saturday delivery. UPS does not work Sundays, except for the Sunrise sort which starts late Sunday night. And that's just internal sorting, not delivery.

HOWEVER!

All of that said, I have NOTHING good to say about UPS management. They are often a colossal cluster-f that ends up screwing everyone down the line. Most likely it's management that screwed you over somehow.

I've seen managers lose an entire 747 full of packages. UPS in it's "wisdom" reassigned that manager to our sort!

And I've seen other things not directly related to management, but that should make you glad to never ship UPS.

Now things can change over the years, but based on the seven years I worked there. I don't think so.

5. faded03cobra macrumors regular

Im a UPS driver and this has nothing to do with the driver. Call and put a same day will call on the package.

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Right!

You guys are too damn busy with too many damned sups on your butts hitting you over the head with rules and policy to be anything less than on your game.

7. richard13 macrumors 6502a

I totally understand your frustration and wish this unfortunate event hadn't happened to you. Hopefully your package will show up bright and early Monday morning and you can write this off as a blip on the radar.

That said, I have no good feelings for UPS. My entire life I have had an overall negative view of them and their service. Contrast this with FedEx where I have a generally overall positive experience. I don't know who is to blame but UPS has let me down more times than I can count. Packages getting lost, sent on side trips for no reason, surly drivers, drivers that refuse to deliver to the address on the package, it's all nothing new to me.

Again, sorry for your trouble.

8. metanoiapi, Oct 19, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2014

metanoiapi macrumors member

I feel your frustration

Sounds like the package was on the driver's manifest but failed to deliver on that date.

Could be the driver had a bad day and just plumb forgot; could be the driver is a bit inept.

I've had a)pacakages delivered to the wrong adress b)failed to generate a door tag in the system after first delivery attempt c) generated a door tag, but forgot to leave said tag on door d)clueless call center staff

There has been many a time when I will just put an exception on the package and pick up the item myself at the depot.

And this isn't just with UPS but with other carriers as well.

So far, the only carrier I've had good service with has been FedEx; except for FedEx Home, which damaged a printer.

Hopefully you will get your package the next day.

Wish you luck!

9. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

This can happen with any carrier, not just UPS. Regardless, I've actually had great luck with them.

A number of years ago, FedEx left a package on my front porch when I lived in a very poor neighborhood. It wasn't there when I got home, so I reported it missing. The driver questioned my wife a few days later, and accused her of lying about the package being missing.

DHL can't seem to find my house, no matter where I've lived, and USPS tends to lose my packages and their claims process is a pain in the ass.

10. richard13 macrumors 6502a

Not just a PITA but impossible to collect on. Years ago I had USPS deliver a package (actually, a return to an unscrupulous seller on eBay). In spite of paying for tracking and insurance USPS managed to lose the package. When I made a claim through their Byzantine process they came back saying they wouldn't honor the claim because their "internal tracking" showed that it was delivered. With no proof of delivery the seller wouldn't issue a refund either.

11. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

USPS claims…

Not our experience. Maybe we were very lucky, but my wife bought an item off of eBay.

Long story short, the seller's father is psychotic and started looking up personal info on my wife and me when the item arrived broken and we started asking questions.

The local postal inspector got involved and made a definitive declaration that the device had indeed arrived broken. My wife got her money back (plus eBay fees and shipping) and we will never deal with this shipper ever again.

12. Fantasigraphic macrumors 65816

When was the delivery date? Sometimes I get "next day" packages (example a Monday when it's due on Tuesday) and if I'm not heavy w/ stops I'll take it out. If I am or something comes up on my route than I have the ability to not deliver that Tuesday package(s).

Maybe that's what happened here.

13. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

FWIW: Other shippers aren't much better right now. When I sold off my iPhone 5s, I shipped USPS priority Mail, from NJ to Philadelphia. It should've taken a day and made a direct route. But no: it took FIVE days, and spent two nights in Washington DC and Maryland, then spent time traveling, then another night out in the philly burbs, before someone realized where it needed to be.

If I had known that would've happened, I would've driven to philly and delivered the package myself, same day. It would've been less aggravation.

14. enzo thecat macrumors 6502

enzo thecat

UPS is a horrible company in my opinion. They screwed me out of an insurance claim of $3500. They used to be the best of the best. Now they are the worst of the worst. Driver are great people. Management are crooks and theives. So is their legal department. Screw you UPS.

15. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

When I joined UPS in 1992 I was anti-union. But, it was California and UPS had an agreement with Local 63, so I was obliged to join if I wanted to work (and I needed a job).

UPS management soon made me realize the importance of unions.

Not to start a discussion on unions, because I am well aware of just how corrupt and crooked they can be (Local 63 had it's own issues too). But had it not been for them there were a lot of injustices I saw on the sort that would never have been corrected. Even then it took a few rounds of the shop steward and sometimes the business agent getting involved.

We had a contract strike once. A few weeks of management having to handle their own over 70lb packages and all the stuff we dealt with (bulk: car parts, containers, large bulky items, etc) and we managed to generate at least some grudging respect.

UPS management (most of them anyway, there were a few decent ones) are indeed crooks and liars.

16. poorcody macrumors 6502

poorcody

I have to say I've had nothing but good experiences with UPS. Of course it only takes one person in a long chain of people to make your experience bad though, so I'm sure everyone's mileage will vary as they say.

Can I ask the UPS drivers on here a question... I usually get deliveries around 3-4pm. It seems when Apple ships though, I often will get them before 10am (to a home address). I don't notice anything special about the delivery service type. Is that just a coincidence or is Apple paying for an early delivery, or is Apple just a favored shipper, or something else?

17. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I was never a driver, but my understanding is that packages and letters are loaded into the package cars based on how far out from the facility they are. So, technically, the closer you live to the facility the earlier you will get your package.

My own iPhone 5 was delivered at 3pm on launch day in 2012 by UPS. I live about twenty miles from the facility (been there multiple times) so it took them that long to get to my address. Any deliveries by UPS (for other things) have come around roughly the same time over the years.

18. Fozamo macrumors member

It used to be better but it's still a good service... at least here in FL.

19. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

My $0.02 worth is that **** happens. Buck up and live with the delivery issue, but the rude phone agents are a whole 'nother smoke. I'd call UPS back and ask to file a complaint.

20. alent1234 macrumors 603

were you there for the delivery? UPS won't leave the phone unless someone is there to sign for it

21. plastiksmoke thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea I have to wait till Monday to find out what was the reason for the delay is. I also have to wait till Monday to do anything with the package. What has me so pissed is that I have to wait till Monday to do anything with my package. My girlfriend and I have had issues with UPS. From them saying they tried to deliver a package and no one was home when someone was. To my package just sitting for days at a sort location or traveling around before it even comes close to my location. My buddy said he saw a driver once not even attempt to deliver a package. The driver just walked up and posted a sticker. This is horrible, I really want to know the reason for not even trying to get the package to me. Last time the driver showed up at my door at 9:48pm and was about to ring the door bell and wake my kid.

Either way this is horrible and I love how they are not trying to fix this issue

22. areamike macrumors newbie

23. stasha macrumors 6502

I want to thanks UPS driver, they bring me stuff everyday on time, love ya

24. JWorld127 macrumors 6502

JWorld127

I hate to break it to you but it was "The Secret" that caused this to happen. You sat around all day thinking about it and thinking about what if i dont get it today...so blame your self. :rolleyes: