I Hate Verizon and I Want an iPhone !

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ipodtouchy333, May 11, 2008.

1. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

I'm sorry but I just have to vent. Some people have told me that if you terminate your two-year contract early with Verizon, each month they take off $5 of the original fee of $175. Well since mine ends in November, if I bought the new iPhone in June, I would only have to pay $75 right? I emailed Verizon customer service and inquired about this. It appears that if you signed your contract before November 16, 2006 then this DOES NOT apply to you. Well I signed mine on November 8 and am pretty mad right now, yes I know I signed a contract but who knew about the Jesus phone in 2006. Thanks for "listening" but I just want that iPhone NOW !!!

2. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

Yes, the terms of your contract are the terms. You signed them. I took the hit and paid the $175 and you will too if you want it that much.

3. coachfreak macrumors member

is there anyone you can transfer it to?

There are services that transfer your contract to someone else, have you tried one? Or, do you think you could sell your current phone on eBay for enough to make the cancellation fee worth it?

4. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

I thought about the transfer negotiation services but the whole concept made me a bit nervous. I also wasn't sure how compatible it was to use those services to transfer the contract and also port a number to AT&T. That seemed a road with many complications and potential problems.

5. joeshell383 macrumors 6502a

I usually don't take advice/information from one CSR (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdKwRdWocco), and I call back at least one additional time to confirm the situation. However, I can confirm that Verizon Wireless started prorating contracts on November 16, 2006. Also, you should know that AT&T will not start prorating contracts until May 25, 2008. So, in the event that the new iPhone is released before that date, I would wait to activate it.

One thing that AT&T (to my knowledge) is still behind Verizon Wireless on, in terms of consumer friendly policies, is the ability to use more than one area code within the lines of a family plan.

6. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

actually, you CAN get out of your verixon contract without incurring ANY changed. You have to read the fine print and ANY letters verizon sends you. Basically when you sign a contract, verizon signs a contract too> When you sign, you agree to a certain amount of months of service and to pay on time blah blah blah.. VERIZON agrees to offer you service at the price agreed on at the time of contract. SO, if verizon changes the price of ANYTHING, like text messages for instance, they are breaking their contract and you can get out of it. The catch is that you have to KNOW they are changing the price, and they will tell you, they HAVE to. BUT you also CAN NOT pay the bill that shows the price increase. When you pay that bill, you are agreeing to the change. This is in place in so that verizon can not go crazy charging people and then making them pay a fee to get out of their contract. But it works in our favor because they do up their prices so often.

It happened back in march where the price per text went from .05 to .10 so i called and told one CS person that i wanted out and that verizon broke their contract. I had to call a few times until i got a competent person and i ALWAYS had to ask for a supervisor, but it is the LAW and if you tell them if they refuse, you will get a lawyer, eventually someone will do it. They are trained to give you the run around.

HOWEVER, the ATT CS is by far way worse. Setting up my iphone was a night mare because there was an issue with itunes searching the existing account, and the CS people told us to set it up on its own account and tranfer it to the new one the next day (monday) and when we called back, they said they could not do it because you are required to have the contract for 60 days before transfering or canceling and it took HOURS of talking to people to get it all straightened out. So they are really no better. If you are changing out of verizon because of the shotty CS, it really isnt the best idea.

7. coachfreak macrumors member

Well, this was possible on the old AT&T (before they merged with cingular the first time). Then when we upgraded our phone on the Cingular network we could no longer have phones in different areas. I personally don't believe they can't just that they won't.

8. Kwill macrumors 68000

Kwill

I hate Kia and I want a BMW !

Whoda thunked it? :D

Attached Files:

9. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

That's been floating around for some time. No, it doesn't work. It worked for a very short period of time and then Verizon stopped putting up with it because so many people tried it. As a matter of fact, if you even bring up the topic again on Howard Forums the thread starter will get locked and booted. They are really tired of hearing it over and over.

10. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

that is not true. It is a law that if you sign a contract with someone, both ends need to hold up their end of the contract. If they are allowed to make changes like that, then who is to say that they can not all of a sudden turn around and say now you have to pay $2.00 per text and if you do not like it, you have to pay $275 to get out of your contract. It is just not LEGAL in any way. It is silly to think that they WOULDNT allow it because then they would have a load of law suits against them.

I did it back in March and had no issues once i got the right person on the phone.

11. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

um. yeah. whatever.

I suggest you go back and actually read the contract:

That was also published again, for folks like you, in several billing statements. I got it in mine. So did you. That notice of text message fee change came a long time ago, January 2007.

So, I'm sure you're far smarter than the teams of lawyers that write their contracts.

And, by the way, the ETF is $175 not $275. Do you just make this stuff up as you go along?

You contracted for voice service. Ancillary services are well within their right to change.

12. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

Oh sorry, I typed a 2 instead of a 1. Jesus, why do people feel need to be a know it all.

All i am saying is that it IS possible if you read the letters that they send to you. And it is, because it says UNLESS OTHERWISE PROHIBITED BY LAW - which it is. Atleast in the state of connecticut. When you sign a contract with them you are signing for all of the services, whether you add a texting plan or not, it does not matter because texting is a part of the contract. Adding the texting plans only makes it so you dont pay up to a certain amount.

I can tell you only from experience that YOU CAN cancel you account this way and not incur any charges because i did it. I did it back in march and I did not get charged nor did i receive any bill saying that i owed any amount of money.

You have to have a material adverse effect for this to work. That just means that you have to actually USE text messages. If you send and receive texts, then the price increase WILL effect your bill and make it higher, which means you CAN get out of it.

Just read here:
    Verizon Materal Adverse Effect and Canceling your plan

13. joeshell383 macrumors 6502a

I don't have enough information to respond to the other parts of your post, but Verizon Wireless did raise text messaging rates in March 2008.

It went from $.10 to $.15 in 01/07.
    It went from $.15 to $.20 in 03/08

http://support.vzw.com/faqs/TXT messaging/increase.html

What is the Text Messaging rate increase?
    Effective March 2, 2008, the price for sending Text messages to the U.S., Puerto Rico, Canada and Mexico - as well as the price for receiving Text messages from anywhere - will increase from $0.15 to $0.20 per message.

14. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

thank you Joshell for posting that. I forgot to look up the specific info on the dates of the increase, but i do know for a fact that it DID happen in March, and i WAS able to get out of my contract ASAP when that change took place.

15. Manie Frizzle macrumors member

16. ipodtouchy333 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks Manie ! I will definitely try this tonight.

17. megfilmworks macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

I love magical thinking! :confused:

18. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

TO OP:

soon enough you will love your iPhone and hate AT&T

19. ipodtouchy333 thread starter macrumors 65816

WHEW. Thanks to Manie... I am now free of Verizon without paying those shysters a single cent !!! It did take 2 unpolite workers and one very rude supervisor but in the end I was able to get out of my contract after 70 min on the phone and now all I have to do is wait for ol' Stevie to release my new iphone. AT & T service looks good in my area so I hope I'm happy with it. Thanks guys, especially MANIE !

20. Hey Jude macrumors 6502a

Hey Jude

I don't know about Verizon, but this was my get out of jail free card from AT&T. I had to ask for a supervisor, as the CSR was clueless, but it is certainly true in my experience.

I don't like contracts, and will use a similar strategy this time around with AT&T again when I purchase the 3G iPhone. What can I say, I prefer not to be tied to contract.

Jude

21. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

f you want to believe magical thinking thais fine. But to the OP, know that is has been done and the people whonsay its impossible either know nothing about law or they didn't try hard enough when on the phone with the cell company