I hate Verizon DSL

Benjamindaines

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 24, 2005
A religiously oppressed state
Well Verizon's gone and outdone their selves and turned Safari into Internet Explorer. My favorite thing about Safari was it's ability to let you type in the name of a website without http or www or .com (like this... "apple") and it would be smart enough to find the site and take you there. Now when I do that it has a livesearch-esque search. God they suck!

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Wouldn't changing your DNS lookup servers fix that?

Comment

jessep28

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2006
Omaha, NE
And how do I do that? I don't want it to take me to another search page, I want Safari to work the way it used to (put in the .com and go).
Cox.net's DNS servers were giving me hell a few months back, so I switched mine to those from Opendns.com

They won't let you do what you want it to do (Apple = apple.com) though but it will get that live search page to go away. I know that in Firefox you can relate bookmarks to keywords so in the address bar a keyword will send you to that address.

Comment

yg17

macrumors G5
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
They won't let you do what you want it to do (Apple = apple.com) though but it will get that live search page to go away.
I use OpenDNS and just tried it in Safari, and it does work that way. Typing apple brings me to apple.com, ect.

Of course, I don't know why it's DNS server-dependent. If you type something in, and Safari realizes it's missing the .com, shouldn't it add it for you before even going to the DNS server?

Comment

Benjamindaines

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 24, 2005
A religiously oppressed state
Alright, I found some info on their website. All I had to do was change the DNS address so it had a .14 on the end, just did it in system preferences and now all is good =]

I don't know why some of you with Verizon DSL aren't seeing this like I am... hmm.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.