Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sdchica1220

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2007
i have 12gb free space on my harddrive but imovie says i dont have enough memory to do anything more that add about 10 pictures to my movie. it won't allow transitions, title, effects or anything similar. is there anything i can do?

Lovesong

macrumors 65816
i have 12gb free space on my harddrive but imovie says i dont have enough memory to do anything more that add about 10 pictures to my movie. it won't allow transitions, title, effects or anything similar. is there anything i can do?

First off, memory does not mean hard drive space. Memory implies RAM, and it's possible that you're running 20 applications in the background, which prevents iMovie from functioning. Try quiting everything except iMovie, and try it again. If that doesn't work, save your project, empty the Trash, quit iMovie, and see how much space you have. Restart, and try again. Good luck.

-DH

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2006
Nashville Tennessee
While Lovesong is correct in that the term "memory" usually relates to RAM, it can and often does mean physical drive space when it comes to those pesky warnings from your Mac.

It's a general rule that you need to keep a minimum of 10% of your boot drive as free space - the Mac OS uses some of that space as virtual memory and for swap files. When drive space gets too low, things can start getting wacky.

It's also a good practice to maintain at least 10% free space on any other drive that is used for editing purposes (captures, renders, exports, etc).

-DH

fivetoadsloth

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
When you usee imovie, or any video programs video fles get huge, a gig file can easily take up over 10 gig of space, why many professionals have multiple large hardrives, im not sure why it isnt allowing you to add the pictures however. Someone like MovieCutter will know the topic much better than I. Sorry

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.