Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

qacjared

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
So first for a little history: I had MacBook(Late 2006) with Tiger on it with a 60 gb hard drive on it. In June I bought a 160 gig drive and using Superduper! I cloned my 60 onto an external drive and then back onto the new 160 one. Well I kept the 60 gig drive and it was good that I did since the 160 one broke after 3 months and I had to place the 60 back in and restore form an older backup of the 160. (Using SuperDuper!). I still wanted a bigger hard drive but would have to wait.

Sometime during the summer(still on Tiger) I noticed that I had two application folders in my sidebar. One that pointed to [MyHD]/Applications and one that pointed to [MyHD]/Users/Jared/Applications. It really wasn't a problem however as Tiger seemed to handle it well. Well then in October I installed Leopard via the "Upgrade Option". Well it did not fix things just made them more confusing. [MyHD]/Applications has the new dull application folder with all the new upgraded Apple Apps. [MyHD]/Users/Jared/Application still has the Tiger Style Folder Icon and the older Tiger verisons of iChat, the Video-less Tiger Photobooth, and Tigers Preview. It really like my own museum. But I want it fixed. Any Ideas?

(P.S. I did a Time-Machine Assisted swap to a 120 HD and it didnt mess things up more then they already where )

Attachments

• MYUserfolder.jpg
    MYUserfolder.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 85
  • MYHD.jpg
    MYHD.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 70
  • Places.jpg
    Places.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 1,175
  • oldchat.jpg
    oldchat.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 73

darwinian

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2008
In R4, more or less
What exactly are you trying to do? You should delete all of the apps such as Calculator, Terminal, Chess, etc. that shipped with Tiger and also shipped with Leopard. Those probably don't run. You can do a manual merge of all of your apps into /Applications/. I use my ~/Applications (in the home folder) for apps that I want to try out and ultimately choose whether or not I like. There's no really good reason for this, though it might affect Library settings in some cases.

qacjared

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
Im trying to get the two folders to appear as one. Have one in the places on the finder sidebar. Just like all macs have shipped like for years. Just like my computer started out with. Yes I could delete all the old apps but that doesnt help me accidentily dragging the new verison of firefox into the wrong one and ending up with two copies.

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
that tilted light blue pinstriped Applications folder is from Tiger. i have a cloned Tiger system that i still have from upgrading to Leopard as i havent bothered cloning Leopard yet. And when i try to open applications from it i get that same error message.

i assuming that you somehow put your applications folder in your home folder in Tiger but it was working properly. then when you upgraded to Leopard and it made the new flat dark blue Applications folder in the root of your hard drive i.e. Macintosh HD or "/".

if all the new Apple apps are are in the new Applications folder then just delete your old Applications folder. but before you do this are all your third party apps in the new or old Applications folder? do you have any big application suites such as Office or Adobe CS?

qacjared

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
My 3 rd party apps are mixed in both

And the only apps suite I have is I work in the root app folder

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.