I have 2 macs...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dedalus, Feb 28, 2008.

1. dedalus macrumors member

a MB Pro and a MB black. I'd like to transfer some programs from the MB to the MBP. Programs like Photoshop, Ilife, Parallels. Can I do that without having the cds of the programs? Is there a way to copy or even move those programs from one mac to the other? Thanks for all your help

2. scr1968 macrumors regular

You can use the Migration Assistant application- that is what is is designed for. It comes with the Mac OS. All you need is a firewire cable and some time.

But you could also be violated your software license agreement in doing that - using "1" copy of a piece of software on "2" machines --- unless you intent is to move it from "A" to "B" and then remove it (stop using it) on "A."

SCR

3. TJones macrumors regular

Odd tangent on the last question but could you use the same process just by connecting the ethernet ports with a RJ-45 since gigabit over copper is auto-MDI?

I know that's Gigabit Ethernet's 125 MB/s vs Firewire 400's 49.152 MB/s theoretical transfer rates is probably not achievable but it might be cheaper or easier to connect two rigs together with patch cable.