I have $200 to spend

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by napsterking, Jun 30, 2008.

1. napsterking macrumors newbie

My dad works at sprint and i wanted to get the instinct (expect me to switch to Att?) for my birthday
    the thing is, sprint is not allowing employees or employee families to buy it
    so if i cant get the instinct, then i was thinking of getting an ibook. but i only have $200 to spend.

can you help me out and help me get an ibook for that price including shipping or lower

I saw betamacs ibook for 170

this ibook clamshell $99 with a busted battery--show me cheap batteries

and wegener media ibook for $170

i hope these are good deals

and if anyone else can help me find a lower ibook that would be awsome

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Don't spend money on machines that old. Save it in the bank.

4. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

Don't get the clamshell. For $200 you're not looking at anything great tbh - can you stretch to $300 - that'll get you an iBook G4 (about 800MHz say)

but to be honest i'd rather save up and wait to see what comes this xmas from Apple (iTouch 2?)

5. napsterking thread starter macrumors newbie

remember its for my birthday and im limited to $200. if i could go for $300 then i would have choosen it but i cant. and i dont have a job. please help me out

and this is only for web and small games to download/apps

6. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Unless you don't already have a computer of any kind, these are huge wastes of money. In fact, even if you didn't have any computer whatsoever, these would still be wastes of money. Why? Because if you saved your money for six months and got your parents to double whatever you'd saved then, you'd be able to afford a modern (as in made in the last year) computer.

7. napsterking thread starter macrumors newbie

you guy are no help at all!!!!

it would be the same thing if i could get a regular pc but i want and ibook
    I JUST WANT A SMALL CHEAP PORTABLE LAPTOP for wifi

8. alexlovesmacs macrumors 6502a

i suggest you to save your money and too get a job

9. heatmiser macrumors 68020

You sound like you just wanted to start this thread to have people agree with you. Unfortunately, once you're no longer 14 or so, the idea of spending $200 on decrepit, seven-year old machines becomes universally recognized as a bad idea. Next time, if you're looking for an echo chamber instead of real advice, just say so...

10. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

If you HAVE to spend it then $200 will buy you a Windows XP laptop. Thats what you'd want for games anyway.

What about an iPod Touch - they have WiFi, and the App store looks like it's got some fun games coming.

11. napsterking thread starter macrumors newbie

but why when an ibook from 2000 can do virtually do everything a macbook can do today?

Why do i Have to spend 300-500 on a laptop if all im going to do is use the browser and some small appications (i know my applications and where to get free alternatives)

12. 7031 macrumors 6502

You're joking :p. Seriously. My friend fell into that trap. Then he complained to me that Half Life 2 wouldn't work on it.

Thing is, the iBook will be extremely slow. If you are expecting it to replace your current laptop, then stop now. It won't. It's slow. It's very slow. If you really want portability, maybe you should look into the eeePC or iPod Touch.

13. napsterking thread starter macrumors newbie

because i have a sandisk sansa View 16gb

oh and it would be the same if i got a xp laptop same spec and everything

I dont even have a laptop thats why i want one
    and cant i just boot linux to make it faster?

14. patrickmacrumor macrumors regular

That's my feeling too. OP, it seems that you already made up your mind, regardless of what the others were going to say.

Ultimately, it's your decision. We can only show you the door. You are the one who have to walk through it. We all have to make decision and accept the consequences.

Personally, I would suggest not buying an iBook. However, I'm not in your shoes, although I can understand how you feel. I, too, at some point could not afford a new MacBook, and really wanted one. If you truely think it's a good investment, then go for it. You do what you think is best for you. However, keep in mind that the iBook is old/pre-owned computer. It can die on you at anytime, and you won't have any warranty to cover it. If this happens, you will suffer a bigger loss: no working computer, and short of $200.00

Weigh the pros and cons, and then make your decision. Whatever option you choose, accept the consequences. If something bad happens, always remind yourself that you decided what was best for you at that time and move on. Good luck with your decision.

15. 00Penguin macrumors member

16. 7031 macrumors 6502

Not that I don't like Linux, I love it, but to be honest it's actually a lot slower than Windows.

I felt the same before. I nearly bought an iBook, but I am so glad that I waited until I could afford a MBP.

Also, I find Mac OS useless with less than 256MB of RAM, and I would recommend at least 1GB.

17. Biscotti macrumors regular

8 Ball says: "Please try again"

But really, I have a MBP 2.16 and I bought an ibook G3 700MHz off of ebay for 210.

I was thinking about getting an ibook:
    1) just for portability stuff, train rides, and to save my MBP from travel battle scars.
    2) Because I have always liked the 12" screens.
    3) Because I could save battery cycles on my MBP while I surf the internet on my couch/reclining chair/Lazy-man
    4) They are fun to play around with, I have a weak-spot for nostalgic items. Aka I still use my Creative Zen and mini-disk players sometimes. haha remember those?

But just remember:
    1) They ARE slow, but not unsuable, but going from my MBP to my Ibook is painful..be prepared (if you havnt known anything faster then you wont know the difference anyway :p)
    2) They never CAME with airport, and finding an Ibook with airport is tough, but not impossible, I got lucky that I found one. Airport cards are an extra $70 bucks usually, so good luck)
    3) Make sure they dont have disfunctional HDD or logic board.

All in all, scour Ebay, best place, and ask questions. I had 30 Watched items when I was looking for mine. Goodluck buddY!

*Don't call my buddy guyyyyy
    **I'm not your guy Fwiend

18. cwheatley macrumors member

If I were you, I would save the money for just a little bit longer in order to get a computer that will undoubtedly last a lot longer. I have seen used Intel MacBooks for $500-$600. I know that sounds like a lot more than what you have currently, but it will be worth the wait. If you don't have a job, get one. In just a few years, nothing will be free for you. If you buy a more recent laptop now, you won't have to replace it in a few years, when you don't have very much money to spare.

If you're determined on getting an iBook, I would recommend getting either of the two 500Mhz ones. Do not get a clamshell if you're planning on using it extensively. Keep in mind that neither of these laptops come with an airport card, so that will have to be purchased separately (between $50 and $70). No matter what you buy, make sure it has USB ports, USB 2.0 preferably.

Also, keep a look out in the classified ads, garage sales, craigslist, and even ebay. I just picked up a pristine 12" Powerbook G4 for $150 on craigslist, which is way under the current "going" price. If you're on ebay at the exact right moment, you can catch a really great deal.

The important thing is to not be impulsive about your decision. You can find a clamshell iBook for $50, and that may seem like a good deal at the time, but the truth is it's not. When you find a good deal, check yourself with someone else to make sure.

Good luck with your iBook hunting.

19. HandleVandal Guest

HandleVandal

For what it's worth:

I have a 900mhz G3 iBook (bought in August 2003) with 640MB of ram and a 80gb hd. It runs 10.4.11 and has an airport card.

It works great for browsing the web, watching movies and running various applications. It does a nice job of running NES/SNES/other game simulators. I run Gimp for photo editing and iMovie for making videos and it does so without so much as a hiccup or spinning beach ball.

Contrary to popular belief G3's, while outdated, aren't big steaming piles of worthless crap. If all you want is the immediate gratification of a laptop to surf the web via WiFi, then a G3 iBook (wouldn't go as far back as clamshell though, if you could avoid it) will do fine.

20. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Because it's a bad deal, bro. Believe me, I understand the desire to have a laptop, but trust us, those ones are a ripoff in terms of the performance you get for the price. You're literally throwing your money away.

If you get one of them, it will almost certainly A.) stop working, or B.) stop working well enough to do even basic surfing, etc, within the year. So three months later, you have no laptop again, and you still have zero dollars saved toward a real machine.

But it's your money, and your decision. Sooner or later, though, you should really note how many people are telling you to reconsider this. We're not trying to keep you from having a laptop; we're trying to keep you from wasting your money.

21. napsterking thread starter macrumors newbie

well ill will reconsider it

it will just be hard to convince my dad to give me 200-300 dollars since my sister and i have the SAME birthday and she is having a quinceria (sweet 16 for Mexican 15 year olds)

that why i could not go over

(they are spending over $1500 for her but all i get is a $200 budget limit

22. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

Thing is, the options that the OP listed are all from 300mhz-500mhz, and 128mb of ram. It would be a lot slower than your 900mhz/640mb. Also he/she probably can't afford an extra airport card because it'll go over $200.

To the OP, there's no point in getting the notebooks you listed. They don't have airport card, which means you can't do wifi surfing, which is your primary reason to get one. OSX will crawl with 128mb. If you can't get more money for your birthday, just save up your allowance and get a job. Since you're here you must be at least 13, so you can probably find some small job. Just things like offering to mow your neighbour's lawns, newspaper route, babysitting and helping around the house will add up. In 3 months you'd probably get enough to get an used CD macbook.

23. HandleVandal Guest

HandleVandal

Just another suggestion for finding good deals:

http://www.fatfingers.com

It finds misspellings in Ebay, it's how I snagged a $35 airport card and adapter for my iMac.

24. Biscotti macrumors regular

Really Guys? Come on....

Ok, so I have been reading threads like this, and it just seems like a lot of people are very condescending. The title of the thread is: "I have $200 to spend."

It has been suggested more then several times that he/she should "save his money", or "get a job," but that's obviously not what he/she intends to do or he/she would have DONE it by now. If he/she would like to burn money, throw away money, buy an old computer or invest it, I say do it, because its theirs to do it with.

So...in conclusion, enough with the "save it" already. please?

Yours truely,

Biscotti

25. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

What's the point of asking for advice if all the posters will just say "Go burn your money, it's yours anyway"? The OP asked for advice, and many people's advice was that it was not worth it to buy the computers that he/she listed. Maybe the OP didn't take the age, reliablity, and speed of the computers into serious consideration, thus not wanting to save and work to get a better computer. But what we suggest is that it'll be a waste of money to buy those computers, and maybe he/she should reconsider his/her decision to just spend the money as it is.