Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pinkstiletto66

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2010
New York City.
I need a smaller computer for school. I have considered getting an iPad with a keyboard, and I am still on the fence with that however in my head having a netbook or an Air is a better idea. Best Buy has it on sale now for $800 plus they give a $50 school discount. So is that a good deal? Should I wait a bit? After Xmas perhaps? I hear a 12 inch was coming out next year but I most likely won't hold my breath on that.

The school discount deal I think is for a month. From reading old post it was $100 off, and is now $50 off. I know the cost of the air usually goes up or down on Sundays. I saw it for $780 at one time but I don't think the coupon was valid until then. Another option I've had was to get a lenovo 3 but it's a bit heavier than the air. My 2012 pro isn't that heavy, but heavy enough for me to want to buy something more portable.

I intend to only use this for papers, some web browsing when in school, perhaps some power point presentations, It's possible the pro (13 inches) will still be my primary comp of choice but if the air is more zippy I might change my mind. I can only afford the base model for now. I have to go to the city tomorrow so if I buy it tomorrow is a good time. All in all I can always buy it at BB and return it within two weeks? (I need to double check their restock fee/return policy What are your thoughts? Thanks in advance.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Why can't you use the 13" instead of the 11? I'm not understanding that part of the issue.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
This post from another thread will tell you how I feel about the iPad vs the MBA.

I used an iPad for three years (when traveling only). I grew to hate the darn thing. To me, it's a toy, not a computer. Last August I sold it on Craig's List and picked up an 11" MBA. I couldn't be happier. The form factor couldn't be better, IMHO. I luv it.

However, I made a BIG mistake. I bought it with only a 64GB SSD. My idea was to use a 500GB Hybrid drive when I was in a hotel room or visiting someone and to use the small SSD only for internet use while moving about. Didn't work. I bought a 480 GB internal SSD, first from OWC, but had problems with it, so it's being RMAd and I have a Transend 480GB SSD that should be here next week. Being able to put all my files on the internal drive and use it anywhere is GREAT!!!!

My home computer is a souped up Mac Pro. But the MBA is a GREAT little machine. iPads =BAH HUMBUG - IMHO.

Lou

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Getting an 11 MBA when you already own an 13 MBP is overkill. IMO.

For simply writing papers, browsing the web, and PowerPoint, an iPad with a quality keyboard cover would be a good option with the following qualifiers:

- Printing. If you will need to print from your iPad, make sure that you will have access to AirPrint-capable printers.

- Web. If your institution's website uses Java or plug-ins, then you won't be able to access the site from the iPad

- File exchange. If you will work on collaborative projects, be careful that you may find it difficult to do that with the iPad

Personally, I would just stick with the 13 MBP. The Best Buy sale of $800 w/$50 .edu discount is not THAT great. In contrast, this past Summer it was $800 w/$150 .edu discount.

Save your money with the expectation that if an updated MBA is released or you have enough money to get a higher capacity MBA or Best Buy has a killer deal then you'll be in a position to pull the trigger.

Pinkstiletto66

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2010
New York City.
I wanted something lighter computer wise. My laptop feels a bit heavy. So I think I'll hold out for a sale. Anyone heard any news of the 12 inch or any other Air updates?

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
I use the iPad mini rmbp 13" combo and for myself it is perfect.
I use my iPad mini naked and carry it in my coatpocket.
My rmbp is my main computer.

I also have a regular iPad for youtube and browsing on the couch and a mac mini as a media center.
For me this is perfect.

linjac321

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2014
you should wait till end of january early feb cuz the broadwell versions will come at that time with thunderbolt 2 hopefully

objektør

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2014
At home
If you can get a good resale price for your MBP than I would go for an MBA.
I'm on an original iPad and have access to a MBA in 'emergency'. When/if the new 12"rMBA arrives i will go for that as my only machine.
The iPad has served me well but it is to limited as Flowrider and others have pointed out for production. The MBA is a much better option than an iPad with a keyboard, imo. Weight, costs and battery life are comparable.

Last edited:

Pinkstiletto66

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2010
New York City.
Oh okay. I was hearing about the Broadwell coming out but someone commented that it would be later 2015 due to some part. I will keep my fingers crossed and wait till January.

ame8199

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2011
Im thinking about selling my MBP 13 to get a MBA 11. I don't think I would have both. nor would my pocketbook allow for that anyway.

John marts

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2014
I find it a little overkill but comparing an iPad to a MBA, I would never get an iPad. I had one for awhile and got bored of it. The Air is SO MUCH better, i mean its a real computer that can do anything. An iPad is an oversized iPhone. Seriously, iPads have gotten to be a joke. Every new iteration is exactly this:

1.thinner
2.lighter
3.faster processor
4.slightly better camera

Its gotten to be so predictable.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
If you find that the 13" is too heavy,and if you think the iPad is a 'toy' and if you write quite a bit and much preferred the 11" MBA, get one.

Over a year and a half ago, I bought an iPad and ended up giving it away to my brother. Yes, the form factor is gorgeous, but writing with it was n=an absolute pain - I much preferred the 11" MBA I bought subsequently.

If you need it, and will use it, it is not overkill; me, I love the 11" MBA, but then, I travel a lot, and want something fast, powerful and extremely portable.

jmoore5196

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2009
Russellville AR
I had both for awhile earlier this year. The 11" MBA is a sweet machine and so light you almost don't notice it. I wound up selling my 13" retina MBP and keeping the Air.

At current sale prices, it's a tough machine to beat. I personally don't think having both is overkill; I just couldn't justify both with my work requirements.

qcmacmini

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2014
The Netherlands
I currently have an iPad 4 cellular and a Mac mini.

The iPad rarely leaves the house now unless I know I'll be stuck somewhere and want internet or simply a better browsing experience than on my iPhone 5s.

I was considering buying an iPad mini 2 cellular for my travel usage, but I'm now looking at Macbook Air 11" refurbs at around AUD$800 when I go back home next. With Yosemite/iOS 8 and the better hotspot functionality, you could potentially pull it out anywhere and have instant browsing tethered to your iPhone.

Personally I would sell the 13" pro, because IMO it's not 'pro' at all, and just go for the 11", with a monitor/dock setup for home.

Pinkstiletto66

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2010
New York City.
Thanks everyone for responses. So is the air faster? "zippier"? I currently use 100 out of the 500 GB. I see the beach ball quite often and to be honest I felt my 2008 was faster, I have a late 2012. If I were to trade this one in, I'd most likely need to get it custom equipped.

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
Thanks everyone for responses. So is the air faster? "zippier"? I currently use 100 out of the 500 GB. I see the beach ball quite often and to be honest I felt my 2008 was faster, I have a late 2012. If I were to trade this one in, I'd most likely need to get it custom equipped.

The processor will be similar. The Air will be much faster at a lot of things because it has an SSD instead of a hard disk.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.