I have a 2008 macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Chris7811, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Chris7811 macrumors newbie

I want to know the tech specs for it because its broken and would like to fix it.

RAM: 4gb

CPU: 2.53

graphics card: 256MB

model number A1278

is there anything I can upgrade?

2. drenline macrumors 6502a

drenline

I have the same one.

RAM can be upgraded to 8gb (204-pin 1066mhz)

SSD

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

What is broken, exactly?

The only user upgradable parts are the hard drive and RAM regardless. The rest is soldered in.

4. Chris7811, Mar 24, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2014

Chris7811 thread starter macrumors newbie

this is the list

the power button the hard drive and ram all need to be replaced from what I know.

5. Tartin macrumors newbie

I had a Macbook Pro 13" Mid 2009 that was starting to go really slow. When I got my new rMBP15" a couple of months back I decided to "freshen up" my old one and give it to someone else so I got myself the 8GB ram and an SSD, put it all in to the old crappy macbook and made a fresh install of Mavericks. Guess what? It's went from "old and crappy" to "slightly used" and it's now booting in a couple of seconds and is superfast again! :)

My brother threw away his PC from 2012 when he got this, a 3 year older machine than his previous. And he's telling me everyday "What an upgrade from my old PC!!". So yeah, defiantly worth the upgrade.

Although the SSD I used was kind of overkill since that old macbook couldn't handle top speeds for it, it's still a big upgrade from an old standard harddrive. The RAM also makes a huge different when running Mavericks.

I'd say go for that upgrade and then perform a clean install of OSX and you got yourself a really nice macbook once again.

6. Chris7811 thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry I gave it to a chinese friend who is going back to china in august so he is going to see if he can get it fixed for cheap I told him 200 since nothing with the metal was damaged