I have a 2009 Unibody Macbook Pro. Which continuity/handoff features will work?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by stagmeister, Oct 24, 2014.

1. stagmeister macrumors regular

I use a (ancient, yes, I know) 2009 13" Unibody Macbook Pro. If I upgrade my phone to iOS 8 and my computer to Yosemite, which continuity/handoff features will work? Will I be able to get phone calls routed to my computer? Is there a good resource that delineates which continuity/handoff features work with which Macs / iPhone products?

2. mabaker macrumors 65816

mabaker

Handoff will work no problem. Just tick the SMS and phone forwarding on in Messages and FaceTime apps.

Continuity will not work.

3. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

i think hand-off won't work. but sms and phone forwarding will work, provided in the same wifi and the same icloud.

continuity is the umbrella of the above features.

confusing, i know.

4. Skika, Oct 24, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2014

Skika macrumors 68030

FALSE. Handoff is the thing that wont work(meaning app state wont be forwarded between ios and os x), sms and calls will work. For calls you have to be on the same wifi network, for sms the only thing needed is connection to internet.

5. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

Unfortunately Airdrop won't work between Mac and iOS, I have a 2009 MBP too and was looking forward to it.

The problem is our MBP's don't have BT 4.0, which has a low power mode that is required for some of these features.

Some people are having success or at least trying hacking Yosemite to enable support for 3rd party Bluetooth adapters. I imagine that will work out eventually, and then we'll be able to enable these features.

6. davehutch macrumors 6502a

davehutch

My 2009 MBP picks up phone callas and SMS messages with no problem. Application handoff doesn't work on that model