I have a 2010 17" i5 and need some Jedi Mind Tricks to wait until the 2012 update...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by snouter, Feb 26, 2011.

1. snouter macrumors 6502a

Right now I try to picture thermal paste oozing from every opening in the case and encoding temps in the upper 90C range.

Those tricks are working pretty well this week, but I'm going to need some more over the following year.

Any tips?

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

If it does what you need it to do, there's no reason to upgrade now.

3. snouter thread starter macrumors 6502a

Not bad, not bad.

I have been able to irrationally rationalize around that one in the past though...

4. Whorehay macrumors 6502a

Whorehay

The new one really sucks. My 2007 MBP has 2.2 GHz. The new one has a measly 2.0, and here we are 4 years later. Are you kidding me? Plus, it's the same old design since freaking 2000. They aren't going to get me to buy 10 year old technology. Come on, Apple. Step up your game.

5. snouter thread starter macrumors 6502a

True, my i5 runs at 2.53GHz. I don't need no stiinkin' cores!

I think a new case design is on for 2012.

6. mgmusicman94 macrumors 6502a

I have a 2008 Macbook White. 2.4 GHz C2D. And I'm waiting for the 2012 15" MBP. The computer I have sucks yet I've managed to deal with it. I guess you gotta just suck it up and think about how much better the next gen will be.

7. barebackbadger8 macrumors 6502

barebackbadger8

surely it aint that bad being as its only over 2 years old?

8. Jiten macrumors 6502a

Jiten

Give in to the Dark side and sell your i5 for a quad core Macbook Pro.

9. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

!!! slap yourself in the face!! Wanting to get a sexy aluminum
    quad-core
    Intel Core i7
    4GB 1333MHz
    500GB 5400-rpm1
    Intel HD Graphics 3000
    AMD Radeon HD 6490M with 256MB GDDR5
    Built-in battery (7 hours)

with benchmarks that murder the living outta the 2010 models. Increased boot up time, faster application start ups, encoding quicker , THUNDERBOLT!~ , speed, ingenuity, grace, increased trackpad, same weight but feels lighter (no idea, im just saying)

WHY WOULD YOU WANT A NEW 2011 MODEL!!! once again slap yourself in the face.

10. Gomff macrumors 6502a

Turn on your TV, watch the news and pay particular attention to victims of Earthquakes in New Zealand, civilian protesters in Libya being fired upon and killed by their own army simply for demanding the same democratic rights that we enjoy.

Then just be grateful for the things you have, your freedom and liberty being high up on the list.

Just saying.

11. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

if the above post [well my post] is making you want one then read this post:

ehem**
    four scores and twenty years ago our founding fathers could not use a computer, why? cuz they didnt have a computer, duh!! now we do have computers, now we have apple computers, now we have apple sexy 2011 models with quad cores. BUT WAIT!!
    have you heard the latest bit of news.. there is a change in 2012 model the design will combine the lightness of the iPad (yes carbon fiber), it will include a keyboard with back lit keys. but not just normal keyboards, stronger, sexier, more Chiclets then ever before.
    the material will be as strong as ever, but as smooth as a feather. with combined SSD + HDD included Intel base models, they will boot faster than any, i repeat ANY computer in the world.
    Apple will also include OSX LION on it [duh!] but with a added feature for the 2012 people. INSTANT BOOT UP TIME! yes that's right instant boot up. so why drown yourself in an ocean that will rise for sometime. enjoy what you have now, and wait until 2012, the year we are going to die [thus apple will certainly make the best product they ever will]
    the best part, there will not be a keyboard [well there is but not as you wish]. it will be a dual screen.. yes a dual screen with a side button that makes actual keys appear in 3D.. you know you want that.

**ATTENTION: IF YOU FEEL LIKE THIS IS A RUMOR [to all except the OP] then YOU ARE WRONG. THIS IS JUST SO I CAN MAKE THE OP STOP THINKING ABOUT BUYING A 2011 MODEL. THIS IS IN NO WAY AN ACTUAL RUMOR. if you think it is, well good luck.

12. David-fr macrumors 6502

Yeah you don't need 4 i7 cores running at a mediocre 2.2GHZ. You also don't need the 1GB DDR 5 video ram card that lets me play WOW at 70FPS with ultra settings.

You don't need that you really don't.

13. pricej636 macrumors 6502

You need quad cores. You want quad cores. Go buy it now. NOW!

Helpful?

14. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

15. snouter thread starter macrumors 6502a

Looks like they brought a tweet to a gunfight...

but, yeah, you are right...

and to think I was all pissy because my Air does not have a backlit keyboard. :eek:

16. diannao macrumors regular

Disclaimer: I ordered a 2011 model.

Why you should wait:

You should first upgrade your current 17" (more memory, fast SSD) if you haven't already.

Listen: http://5by5.tv/hypercritical/7

2011 is likely the end of the line of the current form factor; 2012 models will likely have more MBA-inspired form factors.

There may be hardware changes which make coming models work better with Lion.

2012 models will likely have more Thunderbolt ports/newer version of Thunderbolt.

2011 models have a max memory of 8gb instead of 12/16/etc.

There's the possibility of "retina" displays on 2012 MacBook Pro models.

Ivy Bridge is better than Sandy Bridge.

17. QuickDraw macrumors regular

"You don't need a new MacBook. These are not the MacBook's you are looking for. Move Along..."

18. snouter thread starter macrumors 6502a

Good ones!:D