I have a choice between two similar machines . . .

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by NickD, Dec 24, 2007.

1. NickD macrumors 6502a

NickD

So, this may sound like a familiar post, but it's a little different. I have a choice between (yes, you guessed it) a MacBook and a MacBook Pro, and here are the specs for each machine:

MacBook:
    2.2 GHz
    13" Glossy Screen
    4GB RAM
    160GB Hard Drive

MacBook Pro:
    2.16 GHz
    15" Matte Screen
    3GB RAM
    160GB Hard Drive

As you can see, the MB is the latest generation and the MBP is a last gen model. Usually the MBP would be the faster of the two, but seeing as they are a generation apart, I was wondering if this would change. The MacBook does have a faster processor and more RAM, but the MBP has an actual graphics card.

For photo/video/graphic design work, which should I sacrifice? The graphics card on the MBP for the higher spec MB, or the higher specs on the MB for the graphics card on the MBP?

NickD

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

for photo and design work if it will be printed you will want the matte screen on the Macbook Pro so that is somthing else to think about. I don't think that there will be much of a noticable speed difference between the two so I would go for the MBP.

3. NickD thread starter macrumors 6502a

NickD

Forgot to mention, I'll be hooking up to an external matte display anyway. Does your answer still stand?

4. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I think you could probably go either way, I don't think there will be much noticeable difference so I would still suggest the MacBook Pro unless you want to cary it around a lot where the MacBook's smaller size would be a benifit.

5. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

For me, it all comes down to screen size. Is the smaller 13" worth the trade off in screen size?

Personally I like the 15" screen much better than the 13". it easier on my eyes. Of course this won't matter if you are always using the external screen.

But the 13" is very light and a little bit more portable.

I'd go for the pro...

6. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

While I think that the MacBooks are great computers, I would say to go for the MacBook Pro. The larger screen (plus the much faster video system), when on the go, would seem to be an important advantage over the MacBook. :) :apple:

7. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

A performance difference between 40mhz is simply laughable. The phase of the moon probably has a greater impact on performance.

8. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

True, although the MacBook does have a faster front side bus as well (800MHz vs 667MHz).

9. NickD thread starter macrumors 6502a

NickD

So it seems that I should go for the MacBook Pro then? The only difference I see that may be noticeable would be that it only supports 3GB of RAM.

10. Surely Guest

Surely

I think the graphics/video card trumps the difference of 1 GB of RAM.

I doubt you would notice a difference between 3 GB and 4 GB of RAM.

2.16 vs. 2.2 will be an unnoticeable difference.

Go Pro, guy.
    And I say that while totally loving my 2.2 Ghz SR MacBook. For my purposes, the MBP is overkill. It seems that you have an actual use for the Pro.