I have a choice

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Mr Ski 73, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Mr Ski 73 macrumors regular

between a Dell 2407WFP £250
    or an ACD £450

I am looking to link this to a MBP exclusively for photo editing, colour accuracy is key and the monitor will be calibrated with a my huey. Matt monitor is a must, I also have a iMac 24" Ali which has the glossy display :(

Both are used monitors from ebay. My understanding is that they are both S-IPS panels question is, is the ACD really worth another £200, I could buy a Wacom graphics tablet for that?

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I just had to advise a user to get rid of his new Dell Ultrasharp 2208WFP.
    He wanted to use it with his MBP as an external via DVI. Well the MBP wouldn't recognize it as being there (nor would it recognize the MBP as being there) no matter which cable we used, nor which MBP we used (tested with mine too).

It worked with VGA, but looked like ****.

I'd say, get the ACD or some brand other than Dell.

3. Mr Ski 73 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, that could have been a big mistake. Any other options in the same price bracket for a S-IPS panel that I would be able to get in the UK?

4. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

Personally I would go for the Dell, most of them look great and I'm sure that if you calibrate it it will do amazingly for you. I (again, personally) would never get an ACD because of the huge price premium. There are plenty of other displays that look just as good for hundreds less (IMO).
    And, as you pointed out, you could get other goodies with the money you save...

It sounds like you got a bad display (more like a bad DVI port). Did it work with other computers other than a MBP?

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Of course it did! :)

Technically, Mac OS X and Mac hardware aren't on the list of the supported hardware types.

It escapes me why neither the Mac(s) nor the display sees any sort of data from either end of (multiple) cables. But in the end, it was easier for this user to get a (larger) lenovo from the same place he got the Dell.

6. nanofrog macrumors G4

Odd, as other members have used the Dell 2408WFP with success, and are quite happy with it.

Perhaps you met the "problem child" of the family? :confused: :p

OP: Here's what "Dell 2408WFP" came up with in the search page. Quite a bit, so you should find all kinds of information. IIRC, even some comments on the 2407WFP as well. ;)

Hope it helps. :)

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Maybe it was a dodgy monitor, though it doesn't make much sense with switched cables, switched computers, etc.

8. nanofrog macrumors G4

How would it not make sense? :confused:

If the problems were seen on multiple systems, and cables, the odds are in favor of the unit being defective.

9. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

But he said that it worked with other types of computers...just not the MBP.