I have a computer but I am not a Computer person

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by longball11, Feb 3, 2009.

1. longball11 macrumors 6502a

longball11

Anyone please update me. My dell is is dying on me. It may be able to hold until this coming Fall. That's when I may think of buying a new computer. But I am not looking for buying tips. I am wondering when the new chips (Montevina?) are coming out for which computers (iMac, Mac Pro, Macbook Pro, Macbook).

The parenthesis are the keywords, is Montevina the next platform? What is it and when is it projected to come out?

I always get into a borderline crisis when things are outdated and the new ones come out.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The Montevina platform was released July 15, 2008 and supports the Penryn processor. The next platform to look for is the Nehalem/Clarksfield which is due to be released by Intel in Q3/Q4 of this year. Don't expect to see a Nehalem-based Mac portable until early 2010.

3. longball11 thread starter macrumors 6502a

longball11

4. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

I really really hope apple doesn't wait till 2010 for Nehalem in portables.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Well, they're not going to release them before Intel makes them, so yes, they will wait until 2010. That's pretty much guaranteed.

6. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

Yeah.
    Intel is going to release them in 2010, so there isn't much Apple could do about it. :eek:

7. liquidtrend macrumors 6502

liquidtrend

+1. haha...i really hope they dont release them before they are available. i would hate to feel sorry for someone with a non existent macbook causing problems!

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I can see it now: millions of new MBP owners wondering why their shiny new Mac doesn't boot... they open the case and find a piece of paper where the CPU should be that says "I O U 1 CPU"! :D