I have a few questions about JB an iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by kipliq, Jan 21, 2011.

1. kipliq macrumors newbie

I was reading about the iphone 3gs 4.2.1 jb that set your baseband to 6.15 and no way of going back to the 5.xx and will void warranty. I would like to JB my 3gs but do not want to void my extended 2 year warranty. What would be the best solution. I'm very new to all this jb stuff. Thanks, help would be much appreciated.

2. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

Jailbreak don't void your warranty, as for baseband stuff.. I can't say for sure because those are noticeable even on a new iPhone setup.

3. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

If the OP updates his baseband to 6.15 (iPad), his warranty will be indefinitely voided. To unlock on 4.2.1 updating the baseband is the only way.

4. kipliq thread starter macrumors newbie

Anyway I can go back to iOS 4.1? What steps? Thanks

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You will need 4.1 shsh's to restore to that version.
    If not you can JB 4.2.1 but will be a tethered JB at the moment.
    About basebands you dont have to worry about unless you want to unlock it.
    If you're on official carrier then you dont need to install the ipad baseband.

6. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

You should really weigh your options. There aren't THAT many cool apps on Cydia that you don't have to pay for anyways. Most people think that once you jailbreak you're gonna get everything on the Cydia store free, but that's not the case.

What are your reason's for wanting to jailbreak?

7. kipliq thread starter macrumors newbie

I would lie to get a theathering app that my coworker has. Looks like it works great. I did see a few custom ui I though was cool. I like the productivity apps that are On my friends iPhone he got free from

Oh baseband is Only to unlock? I'm with at&t so I don't need to unlock just jb for cydia. I kept reading all kinds of web pages so it got confusing.

8. peterriffic macrumors newbie

You said what I would say. I just think that if you are a developer and wanting to get to know the iPhone inside out. There's a few apps on Cydia that does that.

Also, a friend of mine is using a 3G and is on a prepaid plan. He uses BossPref to turn off the internet and therefore, just use an iPhone for calling and taking pictures.

I would also have no reason to jailbreak my iPhone. I like it the way it is.

9. Scope1230 macrumors member

You sir are wrong. Jailbreak gives you a way to modify your phone and change SMS and others ringtone. As for apps, everything that is on app store will most likely be on the other store. With good sources,jailbreak can get you tons of free apps eg tom-tom

10. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Also known as piracy. Pauly want a cracker?