I have a few questions regarding icons

Discussion in 'macOS' started by EV0LUTION, Nov 26, 2008.

1. EV0LUTION macrumors 6502

EV0LUTION

I have a few apps that I run all the time and do not want to show up on the dock. How do I do this if it is even possible?

I also want to remove the hard drive icon from my desktop how do I do that, can I just hit delete?

2. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

To remove the hard drive icon, in Finder look under Finder/Finder Preferences/General in the menu bar – there's a tick box to show hard disks, external disks and other stuff on your desktop.

3. EV0LUTION thread starter macrumors 6502

EV0LUTION

Thank you!

Can anyone answer my first question?

4. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

Quit the app then find it in finder. Right-click and choose "show package contents." Open the Contents folder to find a Info.plist. Open this in TextEdit and at the end, right before it says:

</dict>
    </plist>

add this:
    <key>NSUIElement</key>
    <string>1</string>

so the end of the document reads like this:
    Code:
    	<key>NSUIElement</key>
    	<string>1</string>
    </dict>
    </plist>

Be aware that you cant close this app without Force Quitting it via the apple menu, and to open a new window if the app is open and all windows are closed you must open it from Finder or a stack again.
    I did this to peerguardian because it has a menubar icon and there is no need for it to be taking up dock space.

5. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Another way to do it (which is suspect is actually just a simple to use GUI implementation of the method that NoSmokingBandit suggested) is a free little program called Dock Dodger that has worked fine for several icons on a couple of my systems (one Tiger, one Leopard). Certainly worth checking out!