I have a "few" stuck pixels.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by x3n0n1c, Oct 12, 2014.

1. x3n0n1c macrumors regular

A few may be a bit of an understatement. Going to the apple store next weekend to get it dealt with. Laptop was purchased in November of 2013.

Images levels have been played with to make the stuck pixels stand out as best as possible. Taken with a iphone 5s and is of about the top left quarter of the screen.

[​IMG]

Anyone seen worse? Oddly enough you really can't see it unless you are in a dark room and the screen is mostly black.

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I've seen this before on old PowerBooks and iBooks. It was usually related to pressure damage. Hopefully Apple doesn't give you any trouble.

3. x3n0n1c thread starter macrumors regular

I certainly hope they don't. This laptop pretty much lives on my desk at home, only occasionally being brought to work when I need to do so. When I do travel with it it is in a protective sleeve and a laptop bag. I don't see how pressure damage would have occurred.

Time will tell I guess. Thanks for the info.

4. Brian Y macrumors 68040

If they're that scattered then it's 100% a manufacturing defect. You won't have a problem getting that display swapped.

5. x3n0n1c thread starter macrumors regular

That is certainly my hope. If they do end up replacing it I guess I will finally get to see the screen replacement lottery so many here mention. My display is a Samsung that, until these stuck pixels has had no issues, just hoping the replacement will hold up to scrutiny.

6. Brian Y macrumors 68040

The current LG panels are fine, once they've been calibrated. Stock calibration, as with most LG macbook panels, is shocking though!

The early 2012 ones suffered from image retention, but that hasn't reported for some time.

7. l0gikb0mb macrumors regular

Not true, all of them suffer from it. Even the 13", I saw plenty (A18 and A20) screens at the Apple store with severe image retention. Including the dock and "iTUNES FESTIVAL" background. It's engraved in the screen.

8. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Really?

I've yet to see a 2013 LG with IR. Weird, maybe it's still around then :(.

9. x3n0n1c thread starter macrumors regular

Apple store demos are pretty much worse case, they sit there on all day without turning the screen off. They aren't really representative of the average use case.

10. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

They have the brightness usually turned up to maximum and energy saver disabled too so no wonder.

OP - that part of your display looks like the Hubble ultra deep field image unmagnified, you may find galaxies in those stuck pixels! It's pretty bad, though with the retinas the stuck pixels are pretty small.

Time to book a Genius Bar to get that sorted out.

11. x3n0n1c thread starter macrumors regular

The brightness of the screen is unrelated, you can turn the backlight all the way off and you will still get image retention.

The Genius Bar appointment is already booked, really irks me that I have to wait a week to take my laptop in for repair just so Grandpa Stephens can ask where his mail went to again. Bah!

As for the galaxy comment, it does look pretty cool. I'll post the un-retouched image for you in a minute, it's effect is much more pronounced!

12. x3n0n1c thread starter macrumors regular

13. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

The first part was to the other poster about the Macs on display at stores which suffer from retention issues.

A stuck pixel is a stuck pixel, a hardware fault which can be fairly common for the odd one or two but not the galactic star-field you have. I will not say anything about genius apart from = oxymoron :D

Will save that image for zoomed up stargazing on my Mac Pro!

14. l0gikb0mb macrumors regular

I still don't think something that can range from $1300-2000++ should have image retention at all. My MBP 10 had nothing like that. I don't think it's acceptable.

I also think everyone should know this. The consensus here (for the most part) is the A20 screens are flawless (can't remember if it was A18 or A20), but the one that was supposed to have no IR had worse than the one that usually has it. Again, in store.

Good luck in getting an exchange OP.

15. x3n0n1c thread starter macrumors regular

This is true, it shouldn't.

16. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

don't the retina macbooks have ips screens? i remember reading that image persistence is a common thing on ips screens. my 2009 imac has an ips display, and it has image persistence after being on for about 10 minutes. i've already had the screen replaced about two years ago, and the image persistence came back a week later. had it replaced again a few days ago (different issue), but i'm still expecting the persistence to come back in the next week or two.

17. x3n0n1c thread starter macrumors regular

They do have IPS screens yes, but persistence isn't guaranteed. The current screen on my macbook is manufactured by Samsung and has zero image retention issues.

If only it didn't have hundreds of stuck pixels now haha.

18. x3n0n1c thread starter macrumors regular

Apple replaced the display under warranty. The new display looks great and is manufactured by LG. This new screen is noticeably better looking, with better blacks and more contrast, which is what others have claimed vs the Samsung screen.

So far I have seen no image retention but I am not going to go looking for it.

Hopefully this one stays is good working order.

19. icsd08063 macrumors member

icsd08063

Silly question but anyway: how can you tell if my panel is made by LG or Samsung?
    I have seen in my MacBook that I have A018 through display section. That's all. All other command lines I have found simply does not work.

So, how can you tell if it is LG or Samsung?

20. x3n0n1c thread starter macrumors regular

Open terminal and enter the following command:

ioreg -lw0 | grep \"EDID\" | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

Look at the line below "Color LCD". If it starts with LP it's an LG screen, if it's LSN its Samsung.

21. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

Sadly the terminal code does not work for the Mid 2014 MacBook Pro retina and will not give us any information to the screen. Other older systems perhaps.

22. icsd08063 macrumors member

icsd08063

Just "Color LCD" if I remember correctly (I'm on an iPad now..).

That's the problem exactly.