I have a FINAL in less than 24 hours please help

irishvic

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2004
Ok I was working in a group and we compiled a review sheet of the test questions given to us by the professor, well the girl who compiled them is a nimrod and sent the file to me as .wps and is nowhere to be found. How to I open or convert a .wps file to a word file or apple works file, im going insane please help. also .wps is a microsoft works file. one last thing if someone here doesnt knwo a mac solution and has a pc would they be so kind as to download the microsoft converter convert the file then email it to me? im sorry to ask for this kinda thing but im freaking

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
if you email me the file and a link to download the converter, I can quick convert it and send it back to you as a word document.

Last edited:

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
I have an article due in 12 hours and tihs is what I have:

OK, first of all, Bruce’s Crab Colored Minnow looks nothing like a crab – at all, but that doesn’t stop

Joe Bruce’s Crab-Colored Clouser Minnow first got its “fins” wet on the Choptank River in 1996.

Since this time, Joe has remained an active and avid fly-fisherman

Possible Sidebar (Ingredients):

Hook: Mustad #34007, sizes 4 and 2/0.
Thread: Fire-Orange Flat Waxed Nylon.
Eye: 1/50 oz. Lead Eye for Hook Size 4, 1/24 oz. for Hook Size 2/0.
Body: White, Tan and Olive Bucktail.
Tinsel: Gold Krystal Flash and Cooper Flashabou.
I'm freaking, too.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
irishvic said:
Ok I was working in a group and we compiled a review sheet of the test questions given to us by the professor, well the girl who compiled them is a nimrod and sent the file to me as .wps and is nowhere to be found. How to I open or convert a .wps file to a word file or apple works file, im going insane please help. also .wps is a microsoft works file. one last thing if someone here doesnt knwo a mac solution and has a pc would they be so kind as to download the microsoft converter convert the file then email it to me? im sorry to ask for this kinda thing but im freaking
WPS is Word Perfect, there was no Mac Version, so You have,
Two Options...

1) Take the file to any PC running Word, and it will automatically open.
2) Open the file in VI on your Mac (Open terminal, navigate you the folder it is in, then type vi filename.wps) and attempt to copy the actual text away from the configuration data.

TEG

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
Glad it got sorted, but I can't scream the positives of NeoOffice any more than is humanly possible; download it, or if you have X11, download OpenOffice. Your life just got better for free. :)

spinne1

macrumors 6502a
TEG said:
WPS is Word Perfect, there was no Mac Version
There was a Mac version. But there no longer is a Mac version. It stopped with version 3.5e, which is free (or was) and is for OS 9 or earlier. I used to use it exclusively and really liked it. I wish they would make a modern version, but they see no $$ in it.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
TEG said:
WPS is Word Perfect,
Nope it's an MS works document. vi doesn't produce anything legible as every other character is an @. (this happens in XCode too...) NeoOffice (2.0 alpha) had an input/output error, so does OOo 2.0

If does seem to load in MS Word 2004 if you drag in over the dock icon (or whatever you want to use to force the document to load in Word), and when it comes up with the "Convert From" dialog, choose the option at the bottom 'recover text from any document'.

Good luck with your exam.

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
mduser63 said:
But it's not a Word Perfect document that he had, it's a Works document.
Ah. I see. NeoOffice/j, then!

EDIT: or, if this wasn't already mentioned, the MSOffice test drive is free for like 30 days.