Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

a-k-r

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2007
Hello everybody!:)

I have recently switched (since 2 days) and after investigation in this new world, I have quoted that the window " HELP TO SWITCH FROM WINDOWS TO MACOSX " of the HELP menu continuesly blink as if try to update the windows, or in attempt of display the windows in the infinity.

So i have reinstalled the osX which was delivered to me by reformatting beforehand the hard disc because, :apple: told me, "it can happend that he system badly installed in factory".

But I always have the same problem, so this is not a software problem :(

So i have decided to test the state of the hard disk (that i have thought be responable in the problem) but the program testing it show me that everything is well.

So I have decided to execute the TEST APPLE HARDWARE program (touch 'D' maintained in the restart with the CD1 of OSX inserted) which allowed me to test all the internal components of my macbookpro and finally the test finds me that I possess in hardware a NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256 Mb card :lol: BUT the "ABOUT THIS MAC" window in the :apple: of macosX [so with the analysis of my system by software] indicates me he that I possess the version in 128Mo .

Before bringing back the macbookpro to the store I wanted to know 1) if the TEST APPLE HARDWARE looked to those who have the same model as me the same result, and 2) If it was possible to keep my macbookpro 2,2g config with the 256Mo graphics card of the 2,4g without that it create a major conflict (type overheats) and if it is possible, what i must do to change the software configuration of macosx to set that I have a 256Mo card indeed???

Lot of thanks by advance for help, and please excuse my poor english sentences quality... i am frenchy user:p ...

Best regards!

Andrew275

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2007
The 256 figure is including some backup system memory. Your card only has 128 MB of memory.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
You mention at the start of your post that you have a problem that you can't fix. What is it? Or were you referring to your graphics card appearing to have more memory than it does?

warstrekkid

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2007
My guess would be that it says 256 because 128 of it is on your gfx card, and the other 128 is either virtual memory or memory shared from your system RAM. I'm not extremely knowledgeable about it, but this doesn't seem like the sort of mistake that would happen.

a-k-r

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2007
yes it's that!

please if you have the same config (the 2,2ghz) can you execute the APPLE HARDWARE TEST and tell me what is show about your grafic card (128 or 256?)

Thanks by advance!

miniConvert

macrumors 68040
2) If it was possible to keep my macbookpro 2,2g config with the 256Mo graphics card of the 2,4g without that it create a major conflict (type overheats) and if it is possible, what i must do to change the software configuration of macosx to set that I have a 256Mo card indeed???
If, through some sort of miracle, your graphics card were to have more RAM than expected then no, no problems, just continue to use it as you are now. There's nothing you could do to 'change' how OS X sees it. Just use, and enjoy.

brettanderson

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2007
Is it really a mistake or is apple using graphics cars with 256 VRAM in the 2.2 MBP, but only letting OS X see 128Mb of that VRAM

a-k-r

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2007
Just a mistake - comes up as 128MB in Windows.

Really? some persone try it too and windows indicate a 512MB:eek: !!

OK :apple: have release an issue on thsoi problem: thanks Alloye

But can you tell me if you have the same problem to display the help window of the :apple: menu, called 'Switch from Windows to MacOSx'?

Thanks by advance!:)

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
I believe there has been an issue for some time where the integrated graphics of the MB can only recognise a certain amount of RAM in OSX, but in XP, it can recognise a lot more. It's probably the same deal here. In OSX, the system can only recognise 128MB of onboard dedicated RAM (which is accurate) and can only recognise 128MB of shared system RAM. In XP, this shared system ram jumps to say 384MB. This would mean that in some instances, OSX would say the card was 256MB, but XP would say it was 512MB, when the card is still only 128MB.

That's my guess.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.