I have a intel x25m g2. Install or get a sata3 ssd?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Meever, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Meever macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8E200)

If it was a MacBook pro I could just easily use x25 for a while then swap out later, but since doing so on a iMac is such a chore I would like some opinions. Would getting something like the vertex 3 be substantially better than the x25?

I mainly use Photoshop, aperature and final cut express besides the usual things like browsing and whatnot.

2. leman macrumors 604

I don't thing you would notice any real-world difference. At least, nothing that would justify spending lots of money on a vertex 3.

3. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

you didnt mention what size photoshop files, or how big the photos you have going into aperture, but regardless... more ram is better than a SSD for the things you mentioned

http://barefeats.com/wst10c4.html

OTHER INSIGHTS
    We tried exporting to both single HDD and single SSD. The export times were identical which tells us that the processing by CPU is the bottleneck. Activity monitor shows that even when the SSD was used, it was loafing along at 6.9MB/s transfer rate and 46 operations per second when it is capable of 40 times that transfer rate and 490 times that many operations per second.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/404/kb404439.html

Solid-state disks
    Installing Photoshop on a solid-state disk (SSD) allows Photoshop to launch fast, probably in less than a second. But that speedier startup is the only time savings you experience, because that’s the only time when a lot of data is read from the SSD.

To gain the greatest benefit from an SSD, use it as the scratch disk. Using it as a scratch disk gives you significant performance improvements if you have images that don’t fit entirely in RAM. For example, swapping tiles between RAM and an SSD is much faster than swapping between RAM and a hard disk.