I have a Key going out on my macbook.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Richard1028, Jun 2, 2009.

1. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

It's the "down arrow" key. Not surprising as this is probably the most used key there is. This particular key has failed on every PC laptop I've owned so this was to be expected (for me anyway).

I'm still under warranty but I really hate to send this thing in as there are no apple stores near me. Is there any way I can fix this myself? How hard is it? Will I void my applecare if I try?

Thanks!

2. jman240 macrumors 6502a

You can order a replacement keyboard I believe. If you have the Uni Macbook this is a tear down guide http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/First-Look/MacBook-Pro-15-Inch-Unibody/590/1 and you would obviously go in reverse to put it back together.

I hear the white/black poly ones are impossible to get into or at least more effort than it's worth.

Replacement keyboards are just a google search away im sure, may want to search the forums here first and see if there is a list of good replacement parts online stores though.

3. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

The same site that jman (previous poster) linked you to has an upper case/keyboard assembly. They're a reputable company with good service and fast answers.

4. Richard1028 thread starter macrumors 68000