I have a limited budget, school gone paperless and need a new MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by DigBick, Aug 26, 2014.

1. DigBick macrumors newbie

To cut a long story short. here's my story. My school sent out the letters to the students who were accepted to start another year here and On the letter it states they're going to go paperless this year and most of the work will be done digitally. Our option for those who don't own a machine are: 1.Ask for printouts and be behind everyone else, 2. Use the school machines, or 3.Put down $426(insurance or something) and borrow a school MacBook. As you can already tell, "ain't nobody got time fo' that". I only play a light game every now and then, watch/steam content and do school work. I had a 2008 15 but it caught the dreaded 8600m gt bug and a fix only made it worse. My budget is limited to $160. Thanks for any answers.

2. AlexxRyzhkov macrumors regular

Well I would just look on eBay and try to find an 2009 Macbook.
    I recently bought one for $190, although I barely missed one that was selling for $170.
    The 2009 Models can be upgraded to the newest OS, and they can get up to 8gb of ram. Add an SSD and they will run very well on Mavericks/Yosemite.
    If you can't find a 2009 Macbook for cheap enough, I would just get a 2008 Macbook which sell for around $120-$150 run OS X 10.6.8 on it.

3. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

See what you can find on ebay. I get 2010 MacBooks there for $300-350. Don't know what you can get that runs for $160.

4. macenied, Aug 26, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  5. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

Definitely eBay surf. Best case you can score an "Early 2009 MacBook" or later that will run the current versions of OS X well. But they run roughly $200.

For less than that you may be able to find some Late '06-Early '08 models with varying specs that would work fine on Snow Leopard or Lion. Can run Windows 7, and Office 2011 just fine. Batteries may be on the way out and for the price may not be the best cosmetically. But if it's functional, that's what matters.

Something like this would work. I'd go for better condition, but that's a general idea.

6. DigBick thread starter macrumors newbie

I found a Mid-2007 13 that needs an OS for $40. Not worth it?

7. DigBick thread starter macrumors newbie

I found this model MB403LL/A for $140. Is that a good deal? Can some LMK soon? I don't want someone else to buy it.

----------

What do you think?

8. AlexxRyzhkov macrumors regular

That's a pretty good deal, do you have a link to it?
    $140 is good IF it is in good condition and everything works, and it comes with a charger.

9. TacticalDesire, Aug 27, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2014

TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

If you're looking at an 06-early 09 model don't plan on gaming. The Intel GMA chips were garbage in 06 and they aren't fairing any better now.

For $160 it's going to be slim pickings. Really, what you NEED is something that runs office, and a web browser. I'd also pick up a new battery.

Being a broke college student isn't fun. I can recall the feeling where having a $20 bill meant you were rich. I sold one of my textbooks just to have enough gas money to make it back home. If you can though see if you can scrape together an extra $50. That could get you a better machine and possibly last longer too so you won't need to buy another one a year from now.

10. AlexxRyzhkov macrumors regular

The Late 2008 and Early 2009 Models have Nvidia GPUs.

But yeah, if you are gaming, even older gamings and light games, get at least a 2009 model.

11. DigBick thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, thanks you guys and the mod for removing that troll. I know what to look for now and if I find anything I'll let you guys know. (if the mods don't lock this thread.) Thanks again for the help and useful info.

12. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

Look for a "unibody" polycarbonate model late 2009 mid 2010.

why?

-can run the latest version of osx (even the coming yosemite...which on my 2.26 with 4g ram runs really well)),the older macbooks (before early 2009 non unibody) can only run up to "lion" and the version before that "snow leopard" (which is no longer supported!)

-Integrated Nvidia GeForce 9400M

-the non unibody macbook's palm rest really has a issue with chipping (but apple store may fix for free...least did for me with a old non unibody I had a couple years back)

now your 160 budget is gonna be hard (I got lucky with my 2.26 late 2009 for $150)...I found mine on craigs,so maybe look there...

13. Skysky123 macrumors newbie

I really wish I can help you get a MacBook that cheap, but for $160 I don't think your gonna get much. Does it have to be a macbook? If it doesn't than may I recomend the chromebook? It's great if your budget can go up to around $300. You can find a few different colors on Walmart.com and they are brand new. It will be much better than buying a very much used 2008 model, and you would be lucky if that old one lasted you more than a few months. The chrome book will last you maybe a few years and is very slim and portable. I highly recomend it

----------

I also recomend checking out wolvol.com as they have brand new mini laptops in an array of colors for only $100. Let me now how everything goes