I have a Mac...now what!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by powerbookpro, Dec 26, 2008.

1. powerbookpro macrumors newbie

I got a brand new Macbook Pro 2.53 yesterday and I love it! There are some defects, like slanted function keys and a scratched bottom casing, but only 3 of the keys are slanted and I never look at the bottom of the computer anyway. The screen is perfect, which is part of the reason why I wouldn't want to chance getting a replacement Macbook Pro to fix the small defects that this one has.

This machine is so much thinner, faster, and quieter than the laptop it's replacing. It kinda makes me think that I should've sprung for a powerbook 3 years ago instead of a pc notebook. The unibody construction feels so solid.

Now, a few questions:

I don't have a Time Capsule, or an Airport Extreme. So, using my current router, would it be possible to connect a hard drive to the router via an ethernet cable and time machine back up to that?

Where should I buy a Windows license? I found Vista Home Premium (64-bit) for $99.99 on newegg. Is that the cheapest you've come across?

What external hard drive would you recommend? I think I'm leaning towards one of these.
    Would I be able to partition the drive, to say use 250 gigs as normal storage then 750 gigs as time machine backup?

I've left Windows a couple of years ago for Linux, and now I'm making the switch to Mac OS X. So far, Mac OS is definitely the best looking operating system of the three I've used. I can't wait to learn even more about it! Thanks for your help!

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

3. powerbookpro thread starter macrumors newbie

4. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

Its not just based on... OS X is UNIX :)

5. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

no, not quite. technically OS X is based on Unix.

Screencapture 1.png

OS X's kernel is based on Mach kernel derived from BSD which is in turn Unix.

6. deputy_doofy macrumors 65816

deputy_doofy

Not trying to split hairs, but according to THIS site, OS X IS UNIX.