I have a macbook pro, imac and iphone 4s do I need an ipad?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by crzdcolombian, Oct 18, 2011.

1. crzdcolombian macrumors 6502a

crzdcolombian

I have a macbook pro, imac and iphone 4s do I need an ipad? I also have a kindle. I mean I really want one but don't see what I'd do with it. I know many of you have multiple apple products and do you actually use them all?

I mean my apple on the go product is my macbook pro or iphone. I am just worried if I get the ipad i'd stop using my macbook pro that I dropped a grand on a few months ago. I also have a imac but hardly use it as it's 3-4 years old using it more as a server. As for my kindle, only at the beach as I hate that there is no color in it.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Usually, if you need us to convince that you need something, then you don't need it. That said, you already have several products that can do more or less the same as iPad, so you definitely do not need an iPad. A want is different and something only you can decide.

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Need? certainly not. I would probably pass anyhow. That's a lot of expensive gadgets, and it seems like only two or three would really get used

4. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I think the iPad is great if all or most you would use it for is not Flash based or is handled by an app.

It's not necessary for everyone. I've thought about the same thing since I've got an iPhone and MacBook Pro. But I think what I really want is an Air. But that will have to wait until 0.5 or 1 TB drives are more affordable/available.

The people I know who got one have used their computers less.

5. crzdcolombian thread starter macrumors 6502a

crzdcolombian

my girlfriend had the original air and hated it because had no hd space and isn't that much more portable than the macbook pro which is a way better machine.

I was thinking of selling the imac and the kindle to have less stuff but I just don't see what the ipad does that my macbook pro doesn't do. The turns on instantly thing isn't that impressive as my macbook pro turns on fairly quickly. I just hate it how apple doesn't let you read ebooks on your mac and you can only read them on an iphone or ipad.

6. thewright1 macrumors regular

thewright1

I was in the same situation as you. I had an older iMac and Macbook pro as well as the iphone 3g (that ran like crap). When the iPad 2 came out, i got one because i needed something that would allow me to practice my music more efficiently and be a little more mobile and less bulky than lugging around a laptop so that actually worked out really well. I use my iPad 2 a lot with Amplitube and similar apps with my instruments. It makes me practice a lot more then I used to and that definitely makes it worth it. If you have a specific reason for getting it, then i'd say do it. If you're just buying it for browsing the internet and using facebook, then it's not a smart move.

7. jedivulcan macrumors 6502

I have two 2009 MBPs and an iPhone 4. I've had an iPad (WiFi) and an iPad 2 (GSM) and I felt I was being overly redundant with my setup. I preferred reading and doing casual tasks on my iPhone rather than either iPad in the long term.

8. crzdcolombian thread starter macrumors 6502a

crzdcolombian

I guess I want an ipad as a book reader but for 450 for the 16gb one it seems like a lot to have a color book reader to replace my kindle. I will wait to see if I can get one for $300 or less or just wait for reviews on the kindle fire. I don't want to spend $500 and never use it, the kindle cost me 100 so not using it doesn't really bother me too much because it's great for traveling and I let my parents use it.

9. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

Apple is selling 1st gen. refurbs at great prices, have a look - http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB294

It has new battery, outer shell, manuals, accessories and warranty which makes it as good as a new one:cool:

10. crzdcolombian thread starter macrumors 6502a

crzdcolombian

50 bucks less than a brand new ipad 2 in boston not such a great deal. I have seen open boxed ipad 2s at Microcenter for $400. I am going to wait it out till the ipad 3 and see how low I can get a ipad 2. I really want it but don't really need it at the moment

11. kevingaffney macrumors 6502a

I have mbp which i use all day at work and iphone for all the usual stuff. Bought iPad1 on launch day and use it more than the other two. At home, it gets all the use. One gadget I couldnt survive without now

12. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

I was talking about the iPad 1 which is $300 cheaper than iPad 2.

13. trssho macrumors 6502

I have all those things, and I only use my ipad because I feel guilty if i dont. 98% of the time I use my iPhone.

14. Macsparky macrumors newbie

Well I have a iPad 2 64g I used it a lot for the first two weeks then the new wore off so to speak, I went back to my old habits I guess.... I do love it, I just have not used it as much as I should. I have a Mac Pro 2009 with 30" ACD, MacBookPro 13 2009 with OWC ssd, and iPhone 4S out of all of them I use the Mac Pro the most.... Just got the 4S Monday coming from HTC Incredible now everything works together that is very nice. As everyone is different, so are there needs and enjoyments.... As fall is here hope to use the iPad2 more for photo shoots of hikes in the N. AL. mountains.... Good Luck with your choice :apple:

15. Hauss316 macrumors member

I had both an iMac and a macbook when i got my iPad. My iPad pretty much made my macbook sit on the desk and collect dust. I would use my macbook now and then and made the decision to sell it since my iPad was just more convenient to use.