I have a magical SIM card! AT&T!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheSpaz, Jul 13, 2009.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Okay, so here's the lowdown.

I returned my iPhone 3GS to Apple and they made me return the SIM card as well. So naturally, I had to go to AT&T and get a new SIM card and re-activate my iPhone 3G.

The SIM card they gave me at AT&T doesn't look like the SIM cards I'm used to seeing... the back of the SIM (where the connectors are) is a gold color. I'm not talking about the connectors themselves (those are obviously gold) but I'm talking about the ink color on the card is gold/orange. Anyways... on to the good stuff...

So I installed 3.1 on my first generation iPhone (not my iPhone 3G) and instead of doing an update to keep my "hacktivation"... I did a normal restore (iTunes 8.2). Then, naturally, I got the pink screen of death telling me to connect to iTunes. I had no SIM card in it at the time so the only card I had around was the one from my activated iPhone 3G. Now, I KNOW this has never worked in the past, but I decided to try it anyways.

I figured it was going to connect to iTunes and go to the activation screen (like the screen you get when you first get your iPhone and activate it for the first time) but instead of that screen coming up, the iPhone activated by itself and I have full service! I can text, I can call and I've got data!

Please note, my first generation iPhone has NEVER been activated before without hacks. Also, I set it up as a new phone and didn't revert to a backup.

What's going on here? Do I have a magic SIM card?

2. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

Theres always a chance that you got some card they use from some AT&T repair shop...but you never know.

3. chstr macrumors 6502a

chstr

of course, it's still unlocked from when you first did it. whats the big deal?

4. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I'm testing push right now. If this works, then I'll be sure that it's officially activated.

What's the big deal? I restored COMPLETELY without doing an upgrade. This process ALWAYS re-locks the iPhone. I've done it MANY times to know this.

5. mcmanus7 macrumors 6502a

The sim cards up here in canada that Fido issues all have the ICCID numbers written in a orange/gold color on the connector side of the sim card....

6. samcraig macrumors P6

I thought you hates 3.0 and 3.1 because it was sluggish and preferred 2.2.blah blah

7. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I have 2 iPhones.... I have one for testing and one for every-day-use. Is there a problem with that? Blah blah.

8. chstr macrumors 6502a

chstr

no spaz, it does NOT relock the phone

9. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Really? Since when? It's always re-locked for me. When did this change? I'm serious... I wanna know. Every time I restore this first gen iPhone, I have to re-pwn it and "hacktivate" it.

What I did just now is full restore.... then put my iPhone 3G SIM card into it and it activated. If it was still unlocked, I shouldn't even need to put a SIM card in it.

10. chstr macrumors 6502a

chstr

once the phone is unlocked it is unlocked for good. having to reactivate it with att does not change that, it is a software issue

11. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

No... sorry... you're wrong. A complete restore always re-locks the iPhone... unless you "update".

Also, guess what... PUSH IS WORKING! SWEET!

This pretty much confirms that it's officially activated and not unlocked/hacktivated!

Does anyone else have a SIM card that is gold/orange on the back?

12. chstr macrumors 6502a

chstr

once hacktivated, always hacktivated. if you dont believe me ask anyone else that knows anything about hardware/software or just do a simple search. why do you think it's working?

13. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Can anyone else back me up here?

I know I've never been able to use a regular AT&T SIM card to activate my first gen iPhone. It can only be activated on the SIM card that it came with unless you call AT&T and have them activate it for you and put you on the lower $20 data plan.

It's not hacktivated because PUSH works. So there goes your point.

I should have mentioned... this iPhone was not hardware unlocked or factory unlocked. It was "hacktivated" using PwnageTool on 2.2.1.

14. vespoli macrumors member

An unlock is permanent; a jailbreak is removed when you restore.

It also wouldn't hurt you to go outside and talk to the opposite sex once in a while, rather than being on this forum 24/7 making less-than-useful threads.

15. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

TheSpaz uses one phone. TheSpazz uses the other. :)

Sorry, TheSpaz, it was just out there waiting for someone to say it.

16. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Are you understanding what I'm saying? It was jailbroken... that's it. When I jailbroke before, I had to check "Hacktivate" to make sure I can use any AT&T SIM card. Now usually, when I do a complete restore (not an update)... I get stuck at the activation screen again and I have to re-jailbreak (and re-hacktivate) again. I'm pretty sure this has ALWAYS been the case. I don't know where you got your information from.

17. samcraig macrumors P6

Spaz - Re-read your posts.

Several times you use UNLOCK not JAILBROKEN

So perhaps YOU aren't understanding YOUR posts

18. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Okay, perhaps I used the wrong terms, but even unlocking doesn't always stay unlocked. I've done this on my girlfriend's iPhone. Every time I had to update her firmware, I had to make sure I was doing an update so that she didn't lose her unlock. If I did a full restore (even though the baseband didn't change) it would re-lock her phone and go to the "plug into iTunes" screen. Then I would have to Pwn her iPhone again to get iTunes to recognize it.

19. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

I'm with the Spaz on this one. When on 2.2.1, my Original iPhone. Everytime I updated the OS or restored the OS, it would make me re-activate it. So I used quick PWN and hactivated it and unlocked it. When I restored to 3.0, it made me re-activate it, and now my t-mobile sim won't work in it. I had to run redsnow to re-unlock it. I had the home button break, so I restored it and sent it to Apple. I have a different phone now, and don't plan to mod it.

20. chstr macrumors 6502a

chstr

exactly and even then the phone is still technically jailbroken, its just that you lose all the apps and cydia etc so you have to rejailbreak to get them back

21. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Also, previously... I couldn't use PUSH on my original iPhone because of the fact that it was hacktivated (See here)

However, with this new activation, push is working wonderfully.

So therefore... I have some sort of weird AT&T SIM card that works in any phone or something else is going on. Somebody please help me out here. I wanna know what makes this situation different from all the other times I've tried to do this same exact thing.

Really? The iPhone is still jailbroken after a clean restore? I don't think so. Where'd you come up with that one? I clicked the "Restore" button. It wiped the iPhone completely and wrote the official Apple firmware to it. There's no way in hell that it's still jailbroken after that. Also, explain why push is working.

22. samcraig macrumors P6

If push is new to 3.0, how did you determine this hasn't worked in the past. Have you done all this since 3.0?

23. megamanbnmaster macrumors 6502

What color is the normal ATT sim? Mine is gold/orange too on the back. It did the same thing for the 3.1 activation but it didn't work for the 3.0 one. Weird.

24. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

He didn't, but others have. When your iphone is hactivated, or unlocked, push WILL NOT WORK!!

25. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

My first gen iPhone was hacktivated on 3.0 and push didn't work. I figured it was a bug from jailbreaking (so many users are complaining that push doesn't work on unlocked/hacktivated iPhones on 3.0 as well). There are push fixes out there, but I didn't have the interest to use them. Never before have I ever been able to do a full restore, then stick the SIM from my iPhone 3G into the first gen iPhone to activate it.

I think the back of my old SIM card was white. Here's a photo of my new SIM card. I took the photo using my iPhone 3G (I blocked out the numbers just in case someone could use them for some reason).

EDIT: Does anyone think Apple may have changed something in 3.1 to allow any AT&T SIM card to work in the iPhone for some reason?

Attached Files: