I have a MBP thinking of downgrading.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jdaniel, Apr 25, 2009.

1. jdaniel macrumors 65816

I am thinking of downgrading to the MB, only thing holding me back is the Video ram, I assume the graphics arent as good? Is there any intention of changing this anytime soon, I dont want to buy one now with 256 video ram and have them spit out a 512 like the MBP in June or something.

THANKS !!

2. mpqtpie macrumors member

mpqtpie

Why?

Why would you want to downgrade? Most people are looking to upgrade...

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

No one knows for sure but just based on Apple's history, odds aren't on your side. This is the first time a MacBook was given a video card like this that was actually capable of actually doing things. Also, if a user is looking for more VRAM I think Apple wants you to go up a model and look at the MacBook Pro if you're into graphics. I know it's a huge jump (in terms of money) but that's Apple's business model - MacBook's are still capable machines, but if you need the extra VRAM, MacBook Pro is the only option.

4. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

uh, vram, 256mb vs. 512mb makes zero difference in performance.

what makes a difference is the clock speed of a particular gpu's core, memory and shaders and number of pipelines and only then in doing 3d, which i assume we are talking about games here.

if you are a gamer, you would be something of a proverbial dingbat to downgrade.

if you are not a gamer and you are not encoding video/audio or working with 3d or large image manipulations and you want a smaller package, then a downgrade is good. the macbook is for the first time ever a decent enough computer.

if you are one of these millions of people i see who 'use the internet and check gmail and download youtube videos and occasionally plagiarise an essay for school' then yes, i think the macbook is a good machine that will last well into the next decade. :p

5. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...do it, you know you'll love the portability of the MB:D

6. aleni macrumors 68000

think again, once u got your MB, u will miss the nice MBP's resolution and screen quality. the MB's screen sucks.

7. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

thanks for the response guys. Yes I was thinking just that I have seen comparisons and its not as nice. its not as tho I game or do much on here but i do watch alot of video and stuff i download and i like it to be nice, I guess when I am travelling watching tv on a 13 inch screen is gonna suck but I dont know yet I am still looking into the possibilities.

8. GeekGirl* macrumors 65816

GeekGirl*

I had done the same thing once, the extra cash in my pocket was a nice move.

9. aleni macrumors 68000

get the macbook air, the screen resolution is the same as macbook, but much better in quality..

10. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Well the good news is that I'm sure someone would be willing to trade you their MacBook for your MacBook Pro.

11. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

lol - in your opinion that is.

Its perfectly acceptable if someone thinks their current machine (or whatever) is superior to their needs.

12. dhuang macrumors member

I've just done what you are planning on doing. While I don't have a uMBP, rather a classic MBP -- I decided that I wanted a more portable machine that had a great build quality and look to it. Enter the 2.4 uMB.

It's especially helpful on a college campus because my 15.4 has a tough time fitting on some of the lecture desks. I even can use it on the airplane without discomfort compared to the bigger MBP.

If you are planning on playing games, the 9400M is no slouch, but its certainly better to have a dedicated GPU like the 9600M GT if you are an eye-candy person.

Granted the screen quality isn't the best, but if you look at it dead on, it actually appears somewhat decent.

I really don't care about the difference in resolution between the uMB and the 15.4 uMBP mainly because its just one step up on the 16:10 aspect ratio. If it was the 17" uMBP we were talking about, then thats another league -- and a big difference.

I personally have a WUXGA 24" 8-bit panel display when I need the screen real estate or have to do something with accurate colors. Otherwise the uMB is a great road warrior, and I am able to do light coding on it.

Overall, I have to say I am impressed with the uMB line, it just doesn't feel as consumer as the polycarbonate MBs, and I truly believe that the 2.4 uMB is a true successor to the 12" powerbook.

13. ronmaverick88 macrumors member

He would have stronger wifi for one..

14. mpqtpie macrumors member

mpqtpie

Downgrading...

I was asking about the downgrade to try to get more details out of him, so I could better help him.

Also, I am looking to upgrade to a MBP. If he has a good reason for downgrading, then I might go for the Macbook instead. Have you had any problems with your MBP or are you just trying to improve the portability for traveling?