I have a mess here

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by michaelsvx, Jun 23, 2012.

1. michaelsvx macrumors newbie

I have only one ethernet cable running over the roof of my appt. from my modem/dsl router. It is connected to a powermac g4 running 10.5.8. I want to use my tibook in the same room clamshell mode with a kvm switcher. I tried wireless but it's too slow. I now have internet sharing set up with the powermac via firewire. here is the problem. the tibook will not show up on my MBP as a shared device or at all for that matter. no problem showing up on the powermac.

2. michaelsvx thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help. I was hoping for a software/settings solution :( but it is what it is I guess. I found a diagram for making a splitter so I'm going to give that a try. I also have a westell 7500 dsl modem that I may try to bridge and use as a switch.

3. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Check eBay too, you can get great quality and cheap stuff from Asia for just several dollars. Godsend when you work in the IT repair industry like I used to :)

4. michaelsvx thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replys I broke down and bought a netgear $25 switch :( the splitter didn't seem to work.

5. Twilio macrumors newbie

you need a ethernet or dsl router to create a home network... then you just plug in to the next pc what you have..... you will get no error.....

6. Orange Furball macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

Sorry to go off topic, but are you really from Scranton???