I have a Motorola from 2003. It does video calling. Over 3G.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 0dev, Jun 8, 2010.

1. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

Firstly, I like how Apple's talking up FaceTime like it's a brand new thing. Video calling has been around since 2003.

But, anyway, the point of this thread is that I find it stupid that the iPhone 4 won't do video calling over 3G. After all, Skype and such are now working over 3G, and as I said video calling has existed on 3G networks since 2003.

I have a phone that looks like this:
    [​IMG]

See what it's doing there? Video calling without WiFi.

Come on Apple!

2. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

3. johnsmclean macrumors member

4. cowsrus macrumors 6502

they need to negotiate a deal with att, and verizon if that ever actually happens, before they can release video calling over 3g
    if you want video calling at $1.50 a minute over 3g then yea, come on apple, but give them time to work a deal and get the product out there so it seems worth it to pay for video calling

so dont blame apple, blame the carrier for charging monies!

5. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

It's not Apple. Your example is also a poor one, that vga camera isn't going to produce much data during the session.

If you go overseas, video calling has been around a lot longer. If you're so unhappy JB and install 3G un-restricter.

6. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

You act like it is apple's fault it won't work over 3G. Surely the phone is capable of streaming video over 3G. AT&T isn't going to allow it because they are afraid it will crash their network

7. 0dev thread starter macrumors 68040

0dev

1) The front camera on the iPhone 4 is a VGA
    2) Why is it the network's fault when a phone from 2003 could do it over the networks just fine?

8. Pared macrumors 65816

Yeah and the quality was worse than anything RealPlayer was known for.

Who cares if it was done? The bigger question would be is it done right? That seems to be the case.

9. Carniphage macrumors 68000

Carniphage

Apple rarely do things first.

Being too early with a technology is as pointless as being too late.
    Apple have a habit of doing things at exactly the right time.

That's the clever part.

C.

10. brinycbri macrumors 6502a

2) AT&T restricts phones NOW from using that much data..as do many other networks..

what's ur point?

11. Karnivore macrumors 6502

Karnivore

1) and your point is.....?
    2) who told you that iPhone 4 can't do it over network? Did you not pay attentiont to the keynote? The phone can handle it just fine, it's the network that's not ready for it.

12. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

1) the iPhone is still using a better camera. That phone would produce aweful blocky videos.

2) you considered it "just fine" you have some low standards.

13. diabolic macrumors 68000

I don't think it's hard to believe they need to work out bandwidth issues with the carriers.

When video calling is allowed over 3G on the millions of iPhone 4s that will be sold this year, I'd bet the video call traffic generated would exceed all the other models and carriers combined. Like it or not, more people would be likely to use it now on an iPhone than on other phones in the past because of Apple's attention to detail and ease of use. I won't be surprised if Facetime is the best implementation of video calling we've seen on any phone so far. The way the iPhone has significantly increased web traffic, this will increase video call traffic exponentially.

14. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

1. True
    2. How many of those video capable phones were sold? Also, how many people who bought the phone actually used it for video chat?

15. blue43fan macrumors regular

Sure, video calling may not be a completely new invention by Apple, but the point you're missing is that FaceTime is built into the dialer of every iPhone 4. It's not an obscure third party app, every single iPhone will have it built right in. And while I don't have any hard data to back this statement; I'm pretty sure there are at least a few more iPhone users than users of your Motorola phone from 2003. Many, many more people would be using video calling and I'm not sure AT&T could even support it right now.

I'm sure Apple would LOVE to have people using video chat over 3G, but it's simply not feasible at this point. Until networks improve or FaceTime is "optimized" for 3G, we'll be using it strictly over WiFi.

EDIT: Diabolic posted the exact same thing I did as I was typing this. :)

16. 0dev thread starter macrumors 68040

0dev

A lot were sold, they were very cheap, and most phones sold these days have a front facing camera - all of these do video calling over the network.

17. brinycbri macrumors 6502a

2) How bout calling AT&T customer service and asking them instead of wasting people's time here?

18. JodyK macrumors 6502a

JodyK

Did you pop out of your Mom's womb and speak a language? NO ... This feature has JUST been announced ... It is in its infancy!

Did the first iphone have any of its current features? Did many feature improve over time? Did carriers give into demand of some things over time?

Cmon and stop dissing and bitching about progress!

Also Apple didn't claim to invent video chat but they will revolutionize it!

19. dpw84 macrumors member

I think what he was getting at is how many people had a phone that could do video calling over 3G in the U.S. While I'm sure there are a number of people who had phones capable of doing this, most people could not take advantage of this because they did not know anyone else who did so there was not that much strain on the network. Apple is going to sell millions of these and everyone who gets one is going to want to use it and the fact AT&T is having network issues due to iPhone usage. If AT&T allowed FaceTime to be used over 3G it would only get a lot worse than it already is.

Also, most places that I would use it have WiFi so it's not an issue for me. Not like I would use it while I'm walking or driving and give someone a front row seat to me crashing into something.

20. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

there is a difference between having a crap phone that does video calling poorly and a good phone that does it well.

Apple tend to make things WORK, unlike previous history.

21. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

So go use your POS Motorola, and look at the money you'll save not having to buy an Iphone with data.

/thread

22. 0dev thread starter macrumors 68040

0dev

While that may have been true in 2003, I also said there are plenty of other phones for sale today which do video calls over the network - and don't require the person on the other end to have the same phone as you, either.

Examples: Nokia N97, Nokia 5800, Nokia E72, Sony Ericsson Xperia X10... I could go on for ages. Pretty much any new phone you get does this - over 3G, without the need for the other person to have the same phone.

Don't get me wrong, I think those phones are crap compared to the iPhone... But if they can do it, why can't the iPhone 4?

23. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

First there is no such word as "firstly." So your attempt to look smart ends with your first word.

Second, Jobs did not say that Apple was first to market with video to video. He never said it was brand new, except for the iPhone. You are putting words in his mouth. Facetime will probably popularize video to video, which is what Apple's features usually do. That is new.

Third, FaceTime is an open standard. Connections to computers, skype, etc. will probably be coming from 3rd party devs. quickly. Apple is just lighting the match.

Fourth, Apple does not care if you use FaceTime on 3G, but the CellCos do. Not just ATT, but apparently every single other Apple cell partner. Video uses a lot of bandwidth. The last thing cellcos want is 10m people video chating on their lines. They'd crash and burn. Sure that crappy Moto phone could do it, because, lets be honest, how many people actually owned one of those or similar like the grossly expensive Nokia N90.

24. 0dev thread starter macrumors 68040

0dev

I like how no one's actually answered the question.

Yes, you can say that the Motorola did it because hardly anyone got them... But I only used that as an example, and that doesn't explain the fact that almost every single other 3G phone you can buy TODAY will do it just fine. And most people own 3G phones.