I have a new iPT6G and I'm on iOS 8.4 should I upgrade?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by OldCorpse, Oct 13, 2015.

  1. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

    OldCorpse

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2005
    Location:
    compost heap
    #1
    So I bought a new iPT6G, and set it up to restore from my old iPT5G, which was iOS 8.4, that's how I ended up with the newest generation iPT and still on iOS 8.4.

    My question: should I upgrade to iOS 9.0.2? I ask because lots of people have serious complaints about 9.0.2, and once you upgrade to it, you cannot go back to 8.4.

    Basically it's a one-way trip from 8.4 to 9.0.2, so before I do such a thing, I want to know what you guys think of this?
     
  2. sracer macrumors 603

    sracer

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2010
    Location:
    Land of Bongos and Beatniks
    #2
    I have an iPt6 and I'm sticking with 8.4 although I've upgraded my Air 2 to 9.x.
     
  3. OldCorpse thread starter macrumors 65816

    OldCorpse

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2005
    Location:
    compost heap
    #3
    Yeah, that's my instinct too. I think I'll wait a while longer yet, because from what I understand, there are a few issues with 9.0.2 that are not fixed in the 9.1 beta. That makes me think it's not time as yet. Besides, I'm fine with what 8.4 does for me, so I guess I'm not missing anything by not upgrading. I'll wait.
     
  4. kazmac macrumors 601

    kazmac

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2010
    Location:
    in a Shaw Brothers wu xia
    #4
    OP, please do not.

    9.0.2. is giving some folks serious WiFi connectivity issues and syncing problems too. Not for everyone, but unfortunately I was one of those who got dinged seriously by WiFi issues (iTunes movie that's 1.4gb in size taking 2560 minutes to download etc... and this has been a perfectly fine internet connection for every other Apple device.)

    I've done all kinds of trouble shooting and called Apple. The Senior Advisor said I should take mine back for a refund (Fingers crossed this Apple store will do that 3 days after the 14 day window.)

    To be on the safe side, I wouldn't. I've seen a bit on the Apple support forums backing up the wifi issues.
     
  5. OldCorpse thread starter macrumors 65816

    OldCorpse

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2005
    Location:
    compost heap
    #5
    Thanks, kazmac. I am definitely going to wait.

    OT: you're a Shaw Brothers addict? Heh, there's a 220GB Shaw Brothers package floating on the web, that has a ton of films, starting with The Twin Swords 1965 all the way to Martial Arts of Shaolin 1986. I bet you already have it :)
     
  6. kazmac macrumors 601

    kazmac

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2010
    Location:
    in a Shaw Brothers wu xia
    #6
    Glad to hear you're waiting Old Corpse. OT: I've heard that of that package, but I either trade or pay for legit copies. And with all the issues I've been having with technology lately, think it's safe that I avoid that no matter how tempting it might be.

    Enjoy your iPT 6gen. It's a great little device. If Apple say no to the refund, I'm going to hang onto it and hope future releases of iOS software fix that WiFi bug.
     
  7. raccoonboy macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 22, 2012
    #7
    I wouldn't say 8.4 is a keeper.

    It may have less bug but ios 9 also has features regarding assistive touch and power saving mode. Especially for Ipod touch with somewhat bad battery life could use that function.
     
  8. OldCorpse thread starter macrumors 65816

    OldCorpse

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2005
    Location:
    compost heap
    #8
    Truth is, I don't feel like I miss anything with 8.4, so I don't feel any urgency to upgrade. It would be different if I was chafing under some bugs and waiting to upgrade to get rid of them, but that's not my feeling. Now, of course it is entirely possible - indeed probable - that because I have not upgraded, I don't know what I am missing, and if I knew, I would immediately upgrade, but like I said, since I'm happy with 8.4, I'll stay with it for now. Battery life does seem slightly worse than on my iPT5G, but it's not disastrous, so I'm willing to live with it. Now, down the road, once there's a version that meets with fairly uniform good reviews, that will be the time to upgrade... iOS 9.0.2 does not have a reputation that's good enough, so for now, I'll wait.
     

Share This Page