i have a new mbp, in original box...waiting to be returned

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by oakiegu007, Dec 11, 2008.

1. oakiegu007 macrumors member

So I ordered a new mbp through macconnection. A week later, and it arrived. After reading the forums for weeks, I can't open it in good faith. The customer service was phenomenal and isn't charging me a restocking fee due to the current mbp issues. I was treating myself to my first mbp after owning previous generation low end macs for years. The nvidia chip may not be a time bomb, but there's enough bad news to warrant holding off.

It disturbs me to see how many people make up excuses for these issues. So many of my macs (lowend!) were so outrageously stable that I even use them close to 10 years and multiple users later!

So I'm sending my shiny new purchase off until I see something promising about this whole gpu situation.
    :(

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

3. bunit macrumors regular

bunit

Your lose. Not all of them have problems and remember, you usually only hear people complain about problems, and most people that are happy with there computer do not post comments. But, I can understand your concern. But also, you never no. That box that you are starring at could have a perfectly good computer inside.

4. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

I would never look at a forum as representative of the chances of failures, bugs etc. Its a good place to come to solve problems. That makes it look like a lot of people have problems.

5. descartes macrumors 6502

6. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

So, because the line might have a fault, which means that the computer you got might have a problem, which would of course be fixed under warranty, you're returning an otherwise phenomenal computer?

Call me crazy, but I think the actually probability of getting a problem is pretty slim. I mean, if you're going to hold off on the purchase of any product that might have a problem, you're going to find yourself living in a cave and talking to the Seagulls for company...

7. oakiegu007 thread starter macrumors member

hm

going to get a macbook pro of course:) i just don't remember instability like this pre-nvidia 8600 and 9600. just going to wait and see. I keep thinking Apple will fix this problem. I'm not pooping on apple, I just don't want to take the chance. They make a great product in general.

8. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

Dude are you kidding me?

Make sure you...

DON'T go eat the burger cause it MIGHT cause diahria (how ever you spell it).

DON'T buy a car cause it MIGHT not start someday in some random time.

DON'T cross that street cause you MIGHT get hit by a bus.

DON'T go outside without an umbrella cause a bird MIGHT poop on your head.

9. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

What instability? Apple have been using NVidia chips on and off for years. NVidia had one bad product due to a design flaw and I'm sure they've learnt a lot of lessons because of it, but I think you're being a bit extreme. One notoriously unreliable news site states something bad and everyone's jumping on the bandwagon. If you want a MacBook Pro, keep the one you have otherwise return it and go live in the above mentioned cave with seagulls...