I have a PC, I think I want a Mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lil666jrkatz, Jan 15, 2008.

1. lil666jrkatz macrumors member

Hi guys,

I'm fifteen years old, and I've become very proficient at using my PC. I'm sure all of you can relate to the feeling of growing accustom to the "feel" of your own computer. I don't feel like I'm ready to take the "leap". Tons of questions run through my head: how long will it take me to get used to OSX? Do Macs support the applications I need? How will I transfer all my files and applications from my PC? etc. Here's what I want to know...is it worth it? I love the feel of Apple products and the interfaces are always aesthetically pleasing and easy to understand (I feel like I can do ANYTHING on my iPod touch, although it is much less complicated then a computer). Also, can I transfer everything that is important? Lastly (I think), which one?!? I can say with confidence that it would most likely be a laptop (the macbook pro is more powerful that my current PC!). And I must say, the Macbook Air is just so damn nice. The only thing that bothers me is the lack of ethernet!! When I'm at home, I want to plug right in. Oh yeah, will torrents be an issue? Most movies are AVI, will I have to convert everything?? I will use this computer mostly for in-class note taking and multi tasking with other applications like iTunes etc.

Whoever can provide me with information, thanks in advance

P.S. - I will gladly provide anymore details about my current PC (dell dimension 4600 with 2.5 gigs of memory) or what I want to do with my next computer).

THANKS!

2. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Transferring files is pretty straight forward. Its just a matter of getting them onto the same network. And you can always get the USB connector for ethernet. One thing to keep in mind gaming will be very poor performance on the macbook air. As it has an on board video card. If you want any gaming performance the MacBook Pro is your best bet. I would probably recommend the MacBook if you don't plan on gaming over the Mac Book Air. Its faster cheaper and more ports. So what type of things besides word will you be using it for?

And as far as AVI go this will help with that: http://perian.org/ Its a bundle of codecs for quicktime it gives you this list of supported formats: http://perian.org/#detail

3. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

yeah, what do you normally do with your pc?
    what are the apps you definitely need to use?

others

Torrents is fine

MBA probably not a good fit for you, its more like designed for a "secondary laptop" rather than "primary laptop" for a user.

Try get a MB, if you need to install windows for game, then get a MBP

Worth it or not, can't decide for you.

4. Frisco macrumors 68020

It takes about two weeks to become very comfortable with OS X. Once you get comfortable you'll be very glad you took the time to learn a new OS.

"Do Macs support the apps that I need?" Well what applications do you need?

Transferring your files from PC to Mac is very easy and there are many ways to do it. Using your iPod is one easy way. You can't transfer your PC applications. Software between Mac and Windows is different. You will need Mac versions.

Macbook Air has an add-on dongle for Ethernet. But I must say get the Macbook Pro. It's powerful and time tested. Plus has a bigger screen.

Macs play AVI files great with a QuickTime plugins or through 3rd party software. Torrents are fine on Macs.

Anyway please let us know if you have any more questions!

5. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

Keep an open mind and prepare to "unlearn" windows, and OS X is easy to learn. It's a cliché, but it's true: You won't want to go back. See about 5000 other threads on this forum.

Transferring your stuff from your PC is easy, particularly if you have an external HD (good idea to get one anyway for Time Machine). Some stuff can be a pain (eg, Microsoft Outlook data), but there's almost always a solution.

MacBook Air is sexy but if you can cope with the thickness you get far better bang-per-buck with a MacBook or MacBook Pro. I'm sure there's about 500 different threads discussing this elsewhere on this forum right now.

You can get an optional USB-Ethernet adaptor for the Air, though.

You shouldn't have a problem with AVI movies. You may need to download the right codec but this forum will sort you out with that no problem.

You need to be specific about what you want to do and what applications you need if you want any more help than that. If it really is just note-taking, watching movies and iTunes, then a MacBook will do you fine.

HTH
    SL

6. lil666jrkatz thread starter macrumors member

thanks

Holy crap those were fast responses.

Alright, general consensus is that the MBP is only really worth it for gaming (I honestly don't give a **** about playing games on my computer, xbox 360 is doing just fine for me). I'm sure there are many people who would agree that the MBA is really really sexy. I just can't get over the temptation. I also want a computer that will last a while, something that will be more than sufficient for future installments of OSX (this is why I was leaning towards MBP). So what I'm saying is, who is MBA for, and who is MBP for? I really don't care about the extra 30 bucks for an ethernet adapter, but I want to know if I did get a MBA, would it really be worth it for the 1.8 instead of the 1.6?

Thanks again to everyone

7. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

MBA is for those who are

rich
    already have another computer

MBP is for those who are

gamer, graphic card intense worker

8. lil666jrkatz thread starter macrumors member

sorry, forgot to mention that most of you asked what apps I will need my computer for. I'm not doing video editing or photoshop or playing hardcore games, but I see so many people with MBP. Are they just wasting their money, or does its power come in handy for anything other than the things I mentioned above. I'll say it again, the MBA looks realllly nice, but the price of the 1.8 core 2 duo is just too steep....

9. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

i can see you are very tempted by MBA

thats fine, goto apple store and try for yourself. and really, be ready if you need to budget for another computer since I don't think MBA can be used alone to finish all your task.

10. Frisco macrumors 68020

Macbook Air is sexy, but is not for you. MBP is sexy too and is more future proof and better built than Macbooks. MBP are sexy and fast. MBAs are just sexy.

11. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

Moving from the MBA to the MB gives you a built-in DVD writer (assuming you don't go for the cheapest model), Firewire (v handy), user upgradable HD and RAM (up to 4GB), bigger hard drive options, audio in (optical and analogue), user-replaceable battery, Apple Remote included, faster processor and built-in ethernet. There's no backlit keyboard and the touchpad doesn't have all the new sexy multi-touch goodness.

Moving from the MB to the MBP gives you a bigger screen, dedicated graphics memory, Firewire 800, an express-card slot and a backlit keyboard.

The MBA is sexy, but in terms of raw power and upgradability, is arguably the weakest Mac in the current lineup. As such, I don't think it's a good "introduction" to the world of Macintosh.

SL

EDIT: I got a MBP over an MB because I value the extra screen real-estate, and the FW800 and extra processing grunt is handy for recording multi-track audio, which is one of my main uses. But frankly I could've probably got away with a MB if I'd have been on a tighter budget. A MBA just wouldn't cut it.

12. PkennethV macrumors 6502a

Another vote here for MBP. It will last you a lot longer. You did say that you won't be editing video...but it's note worthy that the MBA doesn't have Firewire, if you happen to need that. Basically, as stated above, you really don't want a MBA unless you have another primary computer as well.

13. lil666jrkatz thread starter macrumors member

Now I'm really leaning towards the MB. It has bluetooth (for a wireless keyboard and mouse for when I'm at home), I can upgrade to 2 gigs of memory, 2.2GHz dual core, lots of ports, and I don't have to worry about screen size because I can plug it in to my monitor at home with DVI. I feel pretty good about the MB. Any downsides (the only one on my mind is not powerful enough to run future generations of OSX). Let me just say, I will get BY FAR the best bang for my buck with the MB.

Thanks again

14. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

it will run future OSX until it dies, don't worry.

MB is indeed the best option when you don't need strong graphic card.

15. lil666jrkatz thread starter macrumors member

Oh yeah, what else would be good about a decent graphics card other than games?

16. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

i dunno, maybe 3D rendering app, etc, like poser...

17. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

Don't worry about OS X longevity, you'll be sound for years.

Order it with 1GB, then max it out to 4GB with RAM from a 3rd party supplier - much cheaper that way. If it were me, I'd also max out to the 250Gb hard drive.

Go for the version with the DVD writer (SuperDrive) as opposed to the one with just the CD writer (ComboDrive), as frankly the latter is archaic and I don't know why Apple still bother.

Steer away from the BlackBook unless you really really like black... if you examine the prices you'll realise that Apple charge a premium just for the colour. :rolleyes:

Also get yourself an external HD for Time Machine. USB will do but FireWire is better... or hang on for the new TimeCapsule!

SL

18. Chris204 macrumors regular

From reading what you've said in this thread, I think a MacBook will be just fine for you. Good luck in your decision.

19. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

The graphics cards in the MBPs have their own memory, and thus aren't "stealing" memory from your main RAM, theoretically reducing performance slightly - although you probably wouldn't notice.

A bloke in an Apple Store also once told me that a proper graphics card was advised if you wanted to span your desktop over two screens (laptop + external), but I dunno, that could be BS.

And apart from that, yeah, just games and pro 3D graphic & animation design.

SL

20. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

That is true. A dedicated graphics card will be able to handle dual monitors alot better then integrated. Integrated just wouldn't cut it for a second monitor.