Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Roxas72

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2008
What do I do, when the starting Mac OS X screen gets stuck?
Okay... So yesterday I installed the updates. I think it was Mac OS X 10.5.5.
But I was in a rush so I needed to turn off the computer. While the update install was in progress. So now the computer was turned off. And I turned it off while it was installing the updates. When I turned it on, the Mac OS X start screen just gets stuck. You know the grey background with the apple in the middle. And the little loading thing under the apple. The loading thing just keeps going, round and round and round. I have tried having it turned on, for hours. But it still keeps loading.

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!
WHAT SHOULD I DO!?
I NEED MY MACBOOK!

jackiecanev2

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2007
That is seriously bad. I think the best option now, if you have the space, is to do an archive and reinstall. The update is a major OS update, and stopping it in the middle means that you couldve corrupted or incompletely modified any one of a number of important components.

Booting into verbose mode might help, if you want to try and manually troubleshoot, but seeing as how you turned off your computer in the middle of an update... your best bet is probably above.

Roxas72

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2008
That is seriously bad. I think the best option now, if you have the space, is to do an archive and reinstall. The update is a major OS update, and stopping it in the middle means that you couldve corrupted or incompletely modified any one of a number of important components.

Booting into verbose mode might help, if you want to try and manually troubleshoot, but seeing as how you turned off your computer in the middle of an update... your best bet is probably above.

How do I boot into verbose mode?

iMav

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2008
Columbus, WI
Consider this a valuable lesson. NEVER interrupt a software update!

A re-installation is your best bet right now. Even if you were able to get the system to boot, the integrity of your OS installation has been compromised.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.