I have a problem with my brand new Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacBookProwler, Jul 27, 2009.

1. MacBookProwler macrumors newbie

Ok i got this MBP about a week ago, and its awesome. except 2 days into having it i noticed that sometimes i will be on the internet, listening to music, and all the sudden the webpage will kind of freeze, than the little color wheel will pop up on the cursor and i cant do anything for about 30 seconds, and the music will stop playing too and than after 30 seconds everything resumes and works fine... this happens about 4 - 5 times aday.. anything i can do ? or should i take it to the apple store? heres my specs

MacBook Pro, 17 Inch, 2.8 GHz intel Core 2 Duo , 4GB 1067 Mhz DDR3

running Leopard 10.5.7

any help is gladly appreciated. thanks!

2. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

3. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

This is the hard drive slowing down. You need to take it in to the Apple store and get it replaced because this shouldn't be happening under normal circumstances.

While you are at it, you could go for faster speeds by getting a 7200RPM drive, a SSD, or a 500GB drive. Replacing the hard drive does not void warranty and is very easy to do.

4. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

You can certainly take it to the Apple store, but that's really only useful if you can reproduce the problem. A couple things to start out:

- Open Activity Monitor. It's located in the Utilities folder which is in the Applications folder. If you leave it open, it may give you some insight into what is causing the hanging. I'd start by sorting the list by CPU usage, and see what bogs down the computer.

- Second, create new user account. Go to System Preferences and click on Accounts. Click the + and create a dummy test account. Log in to that account and see if the problem persists. If it does, it's a system thing. If not, it's something inside your account causing the trouble.

5. NP3 macrumors regular

I would take it in to Apple. Since you've had it for such a short time, personally i don't think the standard cleanup tools will help--to fix permissions, run cleanout tools/diskwarrior, etc. Unless you've downloaded and put a ton of crap of it in just a week.

You could try re-installing the OS, but it just might be easier to take it in. It also seems like the problem is system-wide, not a corrupt file or "simple" software glitch

6. Kenndac macrumors 6502

Kenndac

This is consistent with problems seen by people who've installed the MacBook Pro Firmware update 1.7. See this thread.

7. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Does anyone know if it is possible that it is simply the computer indexing all the files, thus causing the beach-balling issue?

My computer did this when I first got it; after a week, it stopped. I thought it was a hard drive problem at first, but now I am starting to think it was just the computer doing something like indexing all the files.

I am not sure either way. It could be a problem that just stopped...

The problem I still have is that when I shut the lid to put the computer to sleep, it does not go to sleep right away. So I close the lid, and when I pick up the computer I hear a loud click/spring sound.

If I had to guess, it sounds like the shock-detection being activated and freezing up the hard drive.

Does anyone know what the shock-detection sounds like and if it is supposed to make a loud noise like that?

8. MacBookProwler thread starter macrumors newbie

i did have a complete data transfer for all my files from my old mac book pro, could it be something on there that is triggering the beach ball activity?

9. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

As I've said, it may be indexing all the files. I am not certain, but you can take it in to see what is causing the freezing.

I know this unit I have now did not do it when I first had it, but started after I installed some applications. Then it beachballed for a week or so.

You can wait a week to see if it stops.

10. chadamorrill macrumors 6502

Makes a pretty good click. This is very normal. Just be careful when you move it right after closing the lid, or wait for the Apple logo light to power off after closing the lid.

11. MacBookProwler thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah so to resurrect my old thread.. my wife spilled damn vitamin water on my laptop... luckily i was hovering over her looking at something, i grabbed it, turned it upside down, turned it off immediately, blew all the water out of the keys with dust off, opened the bottom, wiped it down and let it sit under a fan for 3 days. i put it back together and it works fine, the only thing wrong is about 3/4 of the backlights for the keys are out but thats fine.. but now the beachball has not come back at all!!! and its running alot faster... im not saying spill liquid on your macbook to get rid of the beach ball problem im just saying this is weird. just had to share that

12. omgitscro macrumors 6502a

omgitscro

That isn't a good thing - something could be wrong with the Sudden Motion Sensor in the MacBook.

http://uri.cat/software/LiquidMac/

Download this and report back on whether or not it works.