I have a question about buying an Iphone 3g in store.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by wcc17, Jan 28, 2009.

1. wcc17 macrumors newbie

Okay. I have a friend who is upgrading, but only needs to upgrade one of their phones, but they have two upgrades available, so they are going to let me use one of the upgrades. I am going to be using the upgrade to buy myself an Iphone 3g, if possible. Now here's my question. If they go into the store, will ATT let them buy the iphone 3g without activating it? And if they do that, will i be able to go activate it with MY sim card, or on my computer at home?

2. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Welcome to MacRumors!

You cannot buy a iPhone 3G in an AT&T, Apple or Authorized Retailer store without activating. But if you have an AT&T number, you can use that same number for your iPhone. You will have sign a new 2 year contract, though.

David

3. wcc17 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well.. If I can't do that.. Is there anyway I could do what I am trying to do?

4. wcc17 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wait, so can I activate it to MY sim card? Even though they are the ones upgrading?

5. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

I believe if you have a 3G SIM that is compatible with the iPhone then they can put it in. They won't charge you for the new SIM though and it's free to transfer your number from your old SIM to a new SIM. You can't get out of the 2 year contract though.

David

6. wcc17 thread starter macrumors newbie

So no matter what, I'm going to have to be on their plan?

7. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Yes, once you get the iPhone though you can unlock it and go with T-Mobile. They are much cheaper than AT&T. If you have questions about that then let us know.

David

8. wcc17 thread starter macrumors newbie

But I would still be on ATT and that seems like a waste of money.. If I upgrade online, could i do this?

9. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

What do you mean by upgrading online? You can buy unlocked iPhones on eBay but they are pretty pricy. If you bought a 8GB iPhone 3G and wanted to put it on T-Mobile, you would end up pending about $520: iPhone ($199) + one month of service ($60) + early termination ($180) + about $520. That's about how much you will pay on eBay.

David

10. wcc17 thread starter macrumors newbie

By upgrading online, I mean, could I upgrade on Att's website, and get the iPhone for the 200 price.

11. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

I am not aware of a feature like this that is currently offered. I think all official iPhone 3G purchases must be done in store.

David