Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

palckofv

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 22, 2008
First, sorry if this is in the wrong section. But I trust the opinion of the people on this forum, so that's why I'm here.
Here's my problem. Running off my wireless router are 2 ps3's and 3 laptops, my iphone when I'm using it, neighbors Ipod touch. You get the idea. I got lots of stuff on my shoddy free wireless router from at&t. How do I get it to handle all this and still perform? Do I just need a better router. I have the highest available speed from at&t. Or is at&t the problem? It's not u-verse, it's the other high speed they have. I can't get u-verse in my area. Thanks for any help. sorry again if this is in the wrong secrtion.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Sounds to me like you are just chewing up all your bandwidth instead of having a problem with the router or service

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

palckofv

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 22, 2008
ok. Not to sound like a dummy, but can you explain what that means? Is there a fix for that or do I just stop using all this stuff? thanks

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
ok. Not to sound like a dummy, but can you explain what that means? Is there a fix for that or do I just stop using all this stuff? thanks

Your internet connection is like a pipe carrying water. It can only carry so much water, The more stuff you have at the end of the pipe using the water at the same time, the less water each thing gets. The only way around it is to get a bigger pipe (aka, call your ISP and upgrade your internet speed)

palckofv

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 22, 2008
thank you yg17. That's exactly what I was wondering. thanks a lot.

Signal-11

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
2nd Star to the Right
Your internet connection is like a pipe carrying water. It can only carry so much water, The more stuff you have at the end of the pipe using the water at the same time, the less water each thing gets. The only way around it is to get a bigger pipe (aka, call your ISP and upgrade your internet speed)

Pipes?

Is this kind of how like the files are IN the computer?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.