I have a question about internet routers.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by palckofv, Jul 14, 2009.

1. palckofv macrumors regular

First, sorry if this is in the wrong section. But I trust the opinion of the people on this forum, so that's why I'm here.
    Here's my problem. Running off my wireless router are 2 ps3's and 3 laptops, my iphone when I'm using it, neighbors Ipod touch. You get the idea. I got lots of stuff on my shoddy free wireless router from at&t. How do I get it to handle all this and still perform? Do I just need a better router. I have the highest available speed from at&t. Or is at&t the problem? It's not u-verse, it's the other high speed they have. I can't get u-verse in my area. Thanks for any help. sorry again if this is in the wrong secrtion.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Sounds to me like you are just chewing up all your bandwidth instead of having a problem with the router or service

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. palckofv thread starter macrumors regular

ok. Not to sound like a dummy, but can you explain what that means? Is there a fix for that or do I just stop using all this stuff? thanks

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Yes, if you are using all of that at the same time, your performance will reflect it

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

5. palckofv thread starter macrumors regular

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Your internet connection is like a pipe carrying water. It can only carry so much water, The more stuff you have at the end of the pipe using the water at the same time, the less water each thing gets. The only way around it is to get a bigger pipe (aka, call your ISP and upgrade your internet speed)

7. palckofv thread starter macrumors regular

thank you yg17. That's exactly what I was wondering. thanks a lot.

8. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Pipes?

Is this kind of how like the files are IN the computer?