I have a question about Time Machine

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by puke, Oct 6, 2015.

1. puke macrumors regular

Hello everyone!

I've got a 2GB Time Capsule from 2 years ago.
    I've got 100mbit/s internet-connection at home.

My question: Can I use Time Capsule wirelessly to the Time Capsule without it being slow AF? Or is it recommended to have it wired via USB?

A side-note: I'm actually with a wire connected to the Time Capsule (router) instead of using Wi-Fi. Does this matter?

Thankyou for your time.

//Johan

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

You are wired to it it should just back up using that wire.

3. puke thread starter macrumors regular

It does backups using an ethernet-wire?

4. puke thread starter macrumors regular

It does backups using a ethernet-wire?

5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Yeah should do it is on your network. If you aren't connected through wifi and it shows up as an option in time machine then yes it'll backup over ethernet. https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201250

6. puke thread starter macrumors regular

Thankyou dearly! Both of you. :)

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

Of course. It does backups however you're connected.

If you're using a gigabit ethernet cable and wi-fi is turned off, it'll use ethernet.

8. puke thread starter macrumors regular

Quick question, if Time Machine can't see my Time Capsule when I need to choose disc for Time Machine while it's connected to Ethernet, do I have to connect it via something else? Wi-Fi or USB? Or do I have to partition it first? The disc that IS available i'm using as backup-storange the old fashioned way and it's currently in use.

What am I missing?

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I'm confused here... so you have a Time Capsule device (Apple router with a hard drive built in) and you are backing up to that over wifi? Where does USB come into this?

If you can see the Time Capsule drive over wifi, you should be able to see the same drive over ethernet as long as they are on the same local network.

If your Mac is connect to both ethernet and wifi, and you want the backup to use ethernet (good... because it is faster normally) you will want to go to this setting in the Network pane in System preferences and set it so Ethernet is at the top and wifi is below ethernet. This will make the connection prefer and use ethernet when both are present. Otherwise, even if you are connected over ethernet, it will not be used.

Screen Shot 2015-10-06 at 8.14.54 AM.png

10. puke thread starter macrumors regular

That did the trick! I wasn't able to find the Time Capsule-harddrive in the list when I was going to choose a drive to store my Time Machine. Thank you!