I have a question......

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by XxHOVESKOxX, Oct 16, 2008.

1. XxHOVESKOxX macrumors newbie

I know you guys must get about 100 threads regarding getting a new iMac or not soo lets make this one 101.......lol

My question is do you guys think there will be a announcement for a new iMac @ MWSF09?....... I've been reading that Snow Leopard is coming out next year and that Nehalem is also coming to Apple....... I'm in the market for a new computer and I really need a new computer..... the current computer i use is a '02 Compaq Desktop Presario running a (AMD processor @ 1.53Ghz, 128MB of Ram and a 40GB HDD) ....I know this has to be the sorriest set-up ever but it gets the job done well sort off......lol ....... now what I don't want to do is buy a new iMac and then in a couple of months a new iMac comes out....... If there's gonna be a whole new redesign on the iMac I can wait till it comes out and then make my purchase..... Soo do you guys think there will be an announcement in January???.......If you guys could please give me some feedback on what should I do I would greatly appreciated.

Thanks XxHOVESKOxX

2. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

redesign

i dont think there will be a redesign just a speed bump.

3. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Checking the MacRumors Buyers Guide (see tab at top of page) it says iMac is ending a cycle and should be updates sometime in the near future.

That being said, I think the only updates we will see will be changes to the guts of the computers...memory, processor/speed, etc. I don't think there will be a major redesign for quite a while.

So I would wait until the next update and then decide if you need the newest updated iMac or buy a previous version iMac or even a refurbished one and save some serious cash!!! I have done this twice and always been happy with my purchase. Some updates are not necessary for how a person is going to really use a computer.

Good Luck

4. XxHOVESKOxX thread starter macrumors newbie

You guys thank you on the feedback regarding my situation....... Ok so let's say that they give a speed bump to the iMac...... What do you think they will upgrade to get it ready for Snow Leopard????

5. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I think they will look EXACTLY like the 24" LED coming out. Including a one-piece Aluminum backing...

6. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Ummm...the speed!?!? :D Sorry, couldn't resist!

7. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

An iMac update is probable, but it won't be Nehalem. The desktop chips are not due until mid '09.

8. XxHOVESKOxX thread starter macrumors newbie

lol........what i mean will they upgrade the RAM up to 8GB's????
    Use the new NVIDIA Chips they used on the new MBP?????

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Here's a friendly reminder from Forum Rules that may help you get better responses on future threads:
    Something like "will there be an iMac announcement at MWSF09?" will attract those interested/informed on the topic.

Hope this helps! :)

10. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

HOwever it might actually not since it is the 100th thread on this subject as quoted from XxHOVESKOxX

;):D

It will be quite a while until 8GB of RAM is in an iMac. Apple historically keeps their RAM low as a way to reduce cost.

11. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

I think it will possibly be a couple of years until you get 8GB RAM standard, but I think that there is a possibility of them allowing you to upgrade to 8GB on the next revision. Though I could be completely wrong there.

I think it is likely that it will only be a speed bump on the next revision. Possibly to a quad core.

12. XxHOVESKOxX thread starter macrumors newbie

Well hopefully in there next revision they will desing them to handle at least 6 or 8GB's of RAM.......also whats holding me up is that they are still not quad-core