I have a RAID 0 and want to clone it to a single drive, Potential Problems?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jdl8422, Sep 8, 2009.

1. jdl8422 macrumors 6502

jdl8422

I have two 1.5TB HDs, RAID 0, as my itunes library. I use Time Machine to back up all my drive, but I also wanted to clone the RAID but only use a single drive as the clone. Will this cause any potential problems since its going from a 2 drive RAID to a single drive. Thanks

2. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

It depends of the degree of utilization. The biggest single dribves that I know off are two TB. So if your 3 TB array holds less than 2 TB of data you should be ok with the cloning.

3. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

You had enough media to stripe 1.5 TB? I encode in lossless and still...

4. jdl8422 thread starter macrumors 6502

jdl8422

I have two 1.5TB drives for my itunes. I currently only use 700GB. 140GB is music the rest are movies. I plan to rip more movies, but at the moment I am still under a 1.5TB drive, so for now I was going to clone my (2)1.5TB drives to a single 1.5TB drive. My main concern was something getting screwy since I have 2 drives going to one.

5. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

Nah, as long as your space is under the limit, you're fine. Clone away. I suggest carbon copy cloner or super duper.

6. Zerozal macrumors 6502

You shouldn't have any problems. I use CarbonCopyCloner to clone my 2x 1TB drives to a single external. As long as there is enough free space on the target drive to hold what you have on your RAID array you're fine.

7. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Yep it all just works. ;)

I do this kinda a lot. :p

Disk Utility is a little faster than CCC tho. ;)