I have a REAL iPhone Brick On My Hands

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Mystikal, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

So my GF told me her phone (3G 3.1.2) shut off on her randomly today. I usually fix her phone problems so I tried to tackle this. Ive spent the last 5 hours attempting to get the phone to turn on:
    1) Phone WILL enter DFU mode but WONT restore (errors 16xx). I tried different computers (another PC, a mac), and wires, and USB ports, and firmwares. Apple logo will not show, but iTunes will recognize the phone.
    2) Attempted to use programs to boot / get phone into recovery mode and NOTHING worked
    --irecovery
    --quickpwn
    --redsn0w
    --blackra1n
    --iReb
    --uninstalled all traces of iTunes, reinstalled
    3) Phone WILL NOT enter recovery mode

Her phone is out of warranty, and got water damaged from *censored*ing steam in a bathroom, and has been having problems for a while. I need suggestions on what else I can do to get the phone to work. She doesn't want to pay $199 for a new phone. WTF can I do to get this phone to work when she gets back from a trip on Friday night?

2. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

Did you ever stop to consider that the iPhone actually has faulty hardware and needs to be replaced??

S-

3. ArrowSmith macrumors regular

I thought Apple was flawless and supposed to provide a superior experience to those awful "Windoze" devices.

4. pixelated macrumors 6502a

pixelated

WHAT was she doing with steam in the bathroom? :eek: :D
    (sorry, i have no constructive advice)

5. John T macrumors 68020

John T

If, as you say, the phone was exposed to a steamy atmosphere, the problem is obviuosly hardware related.

Electronics and damp conditions are not good together! :mad:

6. Mystikal thread starter macrumors 68020

Mystikal

I know the problem could be hardware. I just want to make sure I've done everything I can so she doesnt have to pay $199 to get a new phone because her phone isn't truly water damaged. She put it in the bathroom to listen to music. Not the best idea....

7. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Steam happens when water is heated and turns into a gas.

Water takes 3 forms,
    Liquid, solid, and gas. Water never becomes something else. So steam in a phone is like water in a phone, same as leaving an ice cube on it.

The phone is truly water damaged, for sure.
    Since the problems started happening after this incident, and you seem to have been rather thorough on your troubleshooting I can safely bet it is a hardware issue.

8. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Looks to me like you've done everything you can do. Look in the headphone jack or usb dock to see if you see the white circle with any red on it, since that obviously shows water damage. However, it sounds like you have water damage, which has caused a hardware issue.

9. Mystikal thread starter macrumors 68020

Mystikal

We know it's water damaged. Our last trip to the Apple store pointed it out to us. I just find it weird how it would just randomly shut off, and stay off. I wish there was something I could do to prevent her spending $199, but it seems like I cant do anything :(.

10. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

The 16xx errors are USB miscommunication errors. The only way to resolve those is to try a different computer or USB port, which you've tried. I would guess that something's messed up in the dock part of the iPhone.

I assume it's been awhile since this happened? If not, you could try the rice trick to get as much water out of the iPhone as possible.

11. Mystikal thread starter macrumors 68020

Mystikal

Well we went to the apple store a few weeks ago. Im not sure when the sensor was actually set off because she used the phone in her bathroom a lot. Could i try going through an iPhone dock?

12. macordiefool macrumors newbie

$199 for a new iphone? Holy crap! Buy one, no wait buy 2 and send one to me.
    If I need to buy a replacement in Canada the price is $799 without a new 3 yr. contract.

13. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

I guess you missed this part, troll:

If you're going to troll, at least don't be stupid. Then again, most trolls are, so don't feel bad.

14. Mystikal thread starter macrumors 68020

Mystikal

Out of warranty because it has been damaged, is what I mean to say.

Im still going to try some things today, but I dont have much hope left.

15. John T macrumors 68020

John T

For the sake of accuracy, Water is a liquid. When heated it forms a vapour, which is simply very small particles of water suspended in air - thus forming a "cloud" or steam. When the steam touches a surface at a lower temperature, it condenses out to it's original state.

16. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

An out of warranty replacement in Canada is $229.

17. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

dont use a usb hub plug directly in to the computer.

18. macordiefool macrumors newbie

I might have misunderstood what an out of warranty replacement is. I thought it meant a replacement phone after the warranty period had expired. I have been shopping around for a replacement phone and no one will sell me one without signing a new 3 yr. contract. Have I been misinformed or am I missing something?

19. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Here's the link for out of warranty replacement in Canada:

http://www.apple.com/ca/support/iphone/service/faq/#warranty4

from what I understand this is when you're in warranty and then have water damage or other non-catastrophic damage. I don't think it applies to expired warranties, but I could be wrong, since no ones ever asked that before.

20. macordiefool macrumors newbie

Once again I am taught something new and valuable.Nice.
    I am still choked that it costs $799 to replace a broken or lost phone if the warranty has expired.