I have a REALLY good idea to enable touch-typing on iPad keyboard!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by propynyl, Apr 30, 2010.

1. propynyl macrumors regular

This seems so simple, I'm surprised Apple hasn't thought of it. I have no idea if it would work in practice, but in theory it makes sense. What if Apple implemented haptic feedback ONLY on the "F" and "J" key, and only on the first time it is hit.

So you can place your hands in the touch-typing position, you get that haptic feedback when your pointer fingers are placed on the F and J keys, and you can type away. Anytime you want to reposition your fingers, you get that "buzz" "buzz", and you know you're in the right spot.

Perhaps Apple can develop the use of "partial haptic feedback," soley as a way to create virtual bumps on the F and J keys.

Is this a good idea? If not, thats cool, just had one of those "ah ha" moments.

2. troop231 macrumors 603

Haptic feedback without a vibrator motor in the iPad? :rolleyes:

3. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

perhaps some soft, dull thud sounds instead when you touch them

4. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

Why doesn't anyone get that haptic feedback isn't the problem with a virtual keyboard?

Can you tell without looking that you've touched the screen? Then you can tell that you've hit a key.

The problem is that you can not feel the keys without registering a press so you don't know where your fingers are in relation to the keyboard.

Vibrating when you touch the F or J keys won't help because you still can't rest your fingers on the glass to type.