I have a screw loose

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Changepoint, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Changepoint macrumors member

Changepoint

On my PowerBook G4, there is a hexagon shaped screw on the left hand side of the screen, close to the bottom which has become loose. This causes the lid to rattle slightly with movement. Can this screw be tightened with a special Allen Hex Key tool? If so, where do I get it? The Genius bar weren’t very helpful, saying that it would take three hours to dismantle the laptop to get at it (very awkward angle because of the position of the screw). Surely the tool they were referring to could be cut down a bit to fit in-between the lid and the back of the laptop?

2. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

a hex tool or a torx would work. Just make sure the shaft is thin enough to get in there. You also dont have to be fully seated head on. Just enough to grab the edges and begin turning.

on a 12" powerbook at least, you can replace the LCD panel w/o taking everything apart as the manual suggests.

3. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

If it's an awkward angle - go for a ball-end allen wrench. They let you drive the screw around 30 degrees from straight. (a godsend when working on confined machines with Allen Heads)

Sears should have what you're looking for.