Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

esaelias

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2016
as in is netflix better on the apple tv?

also the main reason is airplay share my macbook screen on my tv etc

it is worth for me to get apple tv or no?

coolbreeze2

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2009
I have an LG OLEDB7 and an Apple TV 4K. There are numerous apps that are not available in the LG Store but are available in the Apple TV App Store. However, the LG Store does have the popular apps you need.

I have found that the Apple TV 4K does provide a better picture quality when using Netflix and few other apps. However, it's not a huge difference.

Whether or not you need/want Airplay is also a consideration. If so, then you will need the Apple TV 4K.

Last edited:

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I mainly use the Apple tv 4k to play back my iTunes library on 4k DV or HDR and Netflix Canada content. I use the LG's apps via VPN to play content from Google Movies, Vudu, and Netflix USA.

esaelias

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2016
I mainly use the Apple tv 4k to play back my iTunes library on 4k DV or HDR and Netflix Canada content. I use the LG's apps via VPN to play content from Google Movies, Vudu, and Netflix USA.

How do you use vpn on an lg tv? Is that possible i can only do it on the laptop

FarmerBob

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2004
do you feel you use the apple tv more then your smart tv?

I ping pong back and forth between my 4K TV and the ATV 4K. Some movies that I purchase in VUDU get "upgraded" to 4K from HDX when distributed and played from "Movies" on the ATV.

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
Having a LG B7 OLED, i'd say that Apple TV 4k is made for the LG OLED TV. They have the LG OLED TVs connected to the Apple TV 4k in the Apple Stores, it's pretty clear that Apple TV 4K was designed for the LG OLED TV range :) Go for it! You may end up buying some of the bargain priced films from iTunes which are stunning in 4K Dolby Vision AND you'll be able to watch them on an iPhone or iPad when travelling. Plus AirPods work lovely with it for late night viewing AND the UI is just beautiful for graphic design fans like myself.
I'm sure that you'll end up loving it!

In fact, we are about to watch my favourite surf film 'The Old, The Young and The Sea' on it right now over a late evening dinner whilst I serve up organic spaghetti bolognaise for my crowd! :)

Reactions: vince22

Eric Best

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2011
Tamworth, NSW, Australia
I have my LG television and my ATV connected to my Oppo media player. I mostly use the ATV for streaming music from my iMac, watching TV shows and films I have bought from Apple and for running various apps. I mostly use the LG directly for Netflix, etc.

vince22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2013
i have LG C7 Oled and apple TV 4k and never look back since dolby atmos already implemented, gave up physical disk years back unless of course you watch lots of Youtube 4k/ HDR videos.

Reactions: BODYBUILDERPAUL

esaelias

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2016
i have LG C7 Oled and apple TV 4k and never look back since dolby atmos already implemented, gave up physical disk years back unless of course you watch lots of Youtube 4k/ HDR videos.
So you enjoy your apple tv
[doublepost=1560220068][/doublepost]
I have my LG television and my ATV connected to my Oppo media player. I mostly use the ATV for streaming music from my iMac, watching TV shows and films I have bought from Apple and for running various apps. I mostly use the LG directly for Netflix, etc.
Isnt atv better for netflix heard it is faster and more clear
[doublepost=1560220149][/doublepost]
Having a LG B7 OLED, i'd say that Apple TV 4k is made for the LG OLED TV. They have the LG OLED TVs connected to the Apple TV 4k in the Apple Stores, it's pretty clear that Apple TV 4K was designed for the LG OLED TV range :) Go for it! You may end up buying some of the bargain priced films from iTunes which are stunning in 4K Dolby Vision AND you'll be able to watch them on an iPhone or iPad when travelling. Plus AirPods work lovely with it for late night viewing AND the UI is just beautiful for graphic design fans like myself.
I'm sure that you'll end up loving it!

In fact, we are about to watch my favourite surf film 'The Old, The Young and The Sea' on it right now over a late evening dinner whilst I serve up organic spaghetti bolognaise for my crowd! :)
Your airpods comment might have sold it me
[doublepost=1560220180][/doublepost]Last question can i watch disney life on it?

vince22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2013
yes, actually stop going to movie theaters, LG 65C7 and Apple 4k TV dolby Vision with Dolby Atmos are perfect mate for my my needs, i should have bought 77" version.

esaelias

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2016
yes, actually stop going to movie theaters, LG 65C7 and Apple 4k TV dolby Vision with Dolby Atmos are perfect mate for my my needs, i should have bought 77" version.
Iv got the b7 its quite good very good oled panel to it

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
as in is netflix better on the apple tv?

I generally use the Apple TV for all of my video rather than the LG app. I haven't done a quality comparison, as I like the Apple TV interface much better than LG's. It is also much easier to see what is happening (bitrate, SDR/HDR status, resolution) on the Apple TV if you have the developer HUD installed. For sound I use my receiver and speakers. The optical sound output of my C9 will not pass full DTS-MA, which Infuse supposedly does on the Apple TV. Don't know if it supports Atmos.

I suspect that the Apple TV processor is much more powerful than that in the LG, but I can't confirm that.

Last edited:

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
As someone who also has a recent LG 4K OLED and an Apple TV 4K, I can honestly say I’ve not touched any of the TV’s smart features since getting the Apple TV 4K. Even before that when I had the previous gen Apple TV, I only used the TV’s built-in apps to watch 4K.

I just prefer the interface of the Apple TV, the wider range of apps and the integration with the rest of my Apple products and services. Maybe if I weren’t so entrenched in Apple’s ecosystem, but that’s unlikely to change very soon.

Reactions: BODYBUILDERPAUL

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
Iv got the b7 its quite good very good oled panel to it

We have the B7 - Excellent with Apple TV. Dolby Vision is incredible on it!
[doublepost=1560259116][/doublepost]
[doublepost=1560220149][/doublepost]
Your airpods comment might have sold it me
[doublepost=1560220180][/doublepost]Last question can i watch disney life on it?

Yes Disney Life App is available on the Apple TV :)

Airpods are flawless on the Apple TV. No lip sync issues at all. Just perfect!

gnomeisland

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2008
New York, NY
I was on the fence after I got my C8 OLED. I like the LG interface and it had all the apps I *needed*. I did get an AppleTV 4K because the LG had streaming trouble (or cable connection gets saturated in the evenings). I use the AppleTV for everything expect YouTube. I do feel the quality is slightly better and the Apple TV app is growing on me. I thought the LG processor was fast until I got the ATV 4K, that A10X processor is overkill and interface is incredibly responsive. If tvOS 13 lives up to the hype I think that will really set the Apple TV apart if you've got a kid at home like I do.

Summary: I don't think buying an Apple TV is a "no brainer", the LG system is very good, but I have no regrets about buying mine.

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
I think LG only give you a couple of years for updates, so that's the main reason for an apple tv. Me personally, I don't let any of my TVs anywhere near the intrawebs, weakest link in the security chain as far as I'm concerned!

Exactly my thinking!!! Same here, LG OLED TV not connected to the internet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.